GL Golf Suggestions [Mac/iOS Merged]

GL Golf Feedback for the Mac and iPhone
JayDub
Nuclear Nova Newbie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Mini map

Post by JayDub » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:27 pm

Another vote for doubling the size of the mini-map. Sometimes it's a little hard to see all the green dots marking tree locations.

Sapphie
Nuclear Nova Legend
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Sapphie » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:27 am

Jake, I know you are working steadily through our list of suggestions, so here are a couple more!

1 - How about a fly-by mode for each course. I know there is the initial one that comes up and can be redone using the V key (I think) but I am thinking more of whate a bird may see from a few feet up, flying from the tee, past the markers all the way to the green, circling it and then back to the tee position. That would be a fantastic way of getting a view of the course's terrain etc. This could even act as a screen saver!

2 - Any possibility of being able to save the best shots as a short 'movie', I don't know maybe a quicktime video?

3 - For some reason, the text that appears on-screen to say we have a possible Birdie, Eagle etc has got more annoying. Did it not used to disappear as soon as a key was pressed? Maybe I am just trying to play the game faster!

4 - Could you make the mouse pointer auto-disappear aftera few seconds, whilst the pointer is hovering over the course?

Keep up the great work!

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:40 pm

1 - That would be a really cool idea, I've been having fun with alternate camera angles lately and I could see that being a possibility. I doubt a screensaver will come about in the near future but that would be really cool and I would definitely use it if I made it.

2 - This is on my too do list, and I'm actually half way there right now (I could reuse the code that allows you to view replays even after you save/load a game in progress)

3 - I don't think I ever changed that, but I could make it disappearance you start a swing

4 - Great ideal, I'll see what I can do while still allowing people to use the mouse to control the game

Thanks!
Nuclear Nova Software - Games and Apps for the Mac, iPhone, iPad, and iPod
GL Golf - Pinball Massacre - Barnyard Blaster - Rocket Golf - Liquid Defense - Hydrothermal

Sapphie
Nuclear Nova Legend

Post by Sapphie » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:12 am

3 - I don't think I ever changed that, but I could make it disappearance you start a swing

Jake - better on any key press, such as lft or right arrow key as it is blocking my view as it is. Don't worry too much about it - it was probably just me having a funny day.

Lee

Sapphie
Nuclear Nova Legend

Post by Sapphie » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:12 am

Jake

Your comment in another post about having actual golfers in the game (which I would not be sure would be a good idea) got me thinking again ... this request is similar to the one I asked for earlier about having a bird's eye fly-by view from tee to hole and back again. Don't know how easy this would be to do:

Have a 'walk about' mode. Some key combo switches from 'take shot' mode to 'lets have a good walk around' where the arrow keys etc actually move you through space in the direction you are pointing - to make the view change as if you are walking along the course. Imagine being able to walk a few yards and swivel round to look back towards the tee ... or just to be able to relax a while and sit by a pool or under a tree!

To be effective you could have some key (Shift for example) that moves the person faster through the landscape when pressed with the arrow. Even better, another key combo (Ctrl ?) that would shift you exactly 100 yards or so - so you can do it in larger steps.

The key combo that puts you into 'walk about' mode could act as a toggle, so that when pressed again it takes you bak to the ball in 'take shot' mode.

I can imagine sitting in the middle of one of the pools just staring back along the course!

Heaven ... maybe I should get out more!

Lee

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:25 am

Thats a GREAT idea, I would love to add a first person view where you can walk around. I'll add it to my list on higher priority
GL Golf - Pinball Massacre - Barnyard Blaster - Rocket Golf - Liquid Defense - Hydrothermal

Sapphie
Nuclear Nova Legend

Post by Sapphie » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:49 am

Goodie, goodie ... can't wait!

Also looking forward to the next beta which should be along any day now?

Lee

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:38 am

Sapphie wrote:Goodie, goodie ... can't wait!

Also looking forward to the next beta which should be along any day now?

Lee
Hopefully in a day or two but I'm real busy with school so there is a small chance I won't get a beta this time. I want to release the final version Thursday or Friday at 12:00

Sapphie
Nuclear Nova Legend

Post by Sapphie » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:18 pm

No problem, Jake. I will look forward to it for the weekend!

Lee

gnudlh
Nuclear Nova Newbie

GL Golf - Sounds preferences

Post by gnudlh » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:12 am

When disabling laugh at poor shots and clap/applaud preferences, there is still the 'ooo' sound when a shot is near the whole. Can that be disabled as well?

gnudlh
Nuclear Nova Newbie

GL Golf - Do not submit scores

Post by gnudlh » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:13 am

When clicking on do not submit scores / main menu, it still displays the scores page. Could it go directly to the main menu instead?

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:47 am

Both of those should be easy to add for the next version, Thanks!

sanmarcos
Nuclear Nova Member

Post by sanmarcos » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:09 pm

Championship mode, choose a course. After each hole, a stats window shows up, showing your place in the tournament and other virtual players (also multi players) stats. This will tie in well with online mode (detached, i.e, the championship is played from date to date, and you have that time to finish all the holes).

Training mode, be able to change variables in shots. You get to do a shot, but afterwards (After showing the stats of the shot), lets say you used 5 backspin. It would be nice if one could set that to 0 and tell GL Golf to try that exact same shot again with the new variables.

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:29 am

Great ideas sanmarcos. I have a tournament mode on my list where you can play four rounds in a row, but I never thought of linking it online versus other players. This would be pretty complicated to make so I might not get to in for a while, but I hope I can eventually.

I like the idea of training mode. It might be easy to link into the replay system, so chances are good that I'll be able to add this

sanmarcos
Nuclear Nova Member

Post by sanmarcos » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:45 am

We really need a preferences window. It is very easy to do in IB.

Add a little margin-bottom black information box, it will look better. (Check the right course box bottom margin)

Get better fonts, try Lucida Grande, or any Monospace font.

Jake, check this out for Registration and payment: http://golden-braeburn.com/.

Online tournament play wouldn't be player to player, it doesn't include any net game code.

In fact, I bet it could be tied in with the high scores code. After every hole, send the score to the server, and request the score list, then display it to the user.

Add to that an email system to notify users of tournaments, time left to complete the tournament, user inactivity in a tournament, a way to remove yourself from a tournament (withdraw button in the UI).

You could also add prices for each tournaments wons, or GL Golf points or something like that, with overall standings.

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:23 am

The preferences window is getting clogged up, at one point I started a preference window but deleted it because back then I only had a few options.

I'm not sure what you mean about the margin-bottom black information box

I've heard the font request before, and I agree. I actually just incorporated Freetype into the new game I'm working on, which gives anti-aliased fonts, so I'll look into adding that to GL Golf.

Good ideas about the tournament play, this will be really cool if I can add it! If this was my day job for a full year I know I would have no trouble finding the time to add this stuff.

Now I gotta go figure out why the GL Golf beta is crashing on 10.3.9 :(

EDIT : I'm taking a look at that payment processor first, Plimus has been going down hill lately

Jake
Site Admin

[iPhone] GL Golf Suggestions

Post by Jake » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:08 pm

Post any suggestions here to improve GL Golf for the iPhone.

Note: If the feature is already in the Mac version, there is a good chance I'm already working to bring it over to the iPhone.

jandefischer
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Re: *** GL Golf for the iPhone Suggestions ***

Post by jandefischer » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:10 pm

Overall I think this is one of the better iPhone applications. I wish there were more courses since I find 2 of the 5 in the iPhone version unrealistic. I much prefer the more realistic courses. The major thing that this program is missing is a saved score version so that you can track your progress on each course. Related to this you should be able to log in using your name and scores should be saved under that name per course.

The second wish would be more courses, period. I've played this game so many times that I'm starting to get bored by the same courses over and over again.

The game plays well. A few greens are pretty unplayable - the slants are too severe that every putt roles past the hole and off the green.

John

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:15 am

Thanks for the feedback!

There will definitely be more courses and a best rounds list coming for the iPhone. I've been so busy with other projects and college I just haven't had time to do the conversions yet, but I should have time this winter when I drop down to 3 classes.

jandefischer
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Post by jandefischer » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:19 am

Jake,

Would you be interested in which greens on which courses are basically unplayable? I played one course last night and it took me over 20 putts to get the ball in the hole. Usually I one or two putt. I've noticed about a half dozen holes that are like this.

John