TECHNICAL QUESTION

GL Golf Feedback for the Mac and iPhone
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
neilgbarclay
Nuclear Nova Hero
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

TECHNICAL QUESTION

Post by neilgbarclay » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:39 am

:?: Jako,

Okay, this question is probably firmly rooted in ignorance.

Your GL Golf freezes my whole system once in a while - or so it seems. This may simply be because I am "on" your golf course more than I am occupied with any other application.

It is a mere annoyance, but I do have to restart the system. (Your golf comes back to the same spot.)

So, is this something that is a "by-product" of your, er, product, or should I contact Apple with a bug report?

THE LEGENDARY NUISANCE

Jake
Site Admin

Re: TECHNICAL QUESTION

Post by Jake » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:59 am

Sorry about the crashes! Sending the report to apple will do nothing, the most helpful thing would be to copy the crash report and email it to me, and I might be able to figure out what's going wrong from that.
Nuclear Nova Software - Games and Apps for the Mac, iPhone, iPad, and iPod
GL Golf - Pinball Massacre - Barnyard Blaster - Rocket Golf - Liquid Defense - Hydrothermal

neilgbarclay
Nuclear Nova Hero
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by neilgbarclay » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:01 am

Okay, Jake,

Sometimes I get a note telling me that suddenly GL Golf has quit, without causing a freeze, and I'm invited to report it.

Other times neither the cursor nor the keys will cause anything to work. When this happens, I don't recall any warning; I just have to restart the computer. I'll tell you where (on which course) this happens, if that will be any help. I've never looked for a "crash log" (just found "installer log'), but will search the next time to see if something can be located of that kind.

My guess is that there still could be a bug in good old Leopard. I observe that with every OSX update, there is a notice claiming an improvement in "stability." They never tell us what it was that was unstable. This is one reason I'm not going any farther than Leopard.

Now, sometimes Word 2008 quits, but it never freezes the whole system.

I spend quite a bit of time on Entourage 2008, but neither problem has ever occurred there.

We get a lot of power bumps in this area - could that cause the problem? I say this because a couple of times when I've put junior to sleep, it won't come back on nohow, not even with the start button. Then I have to unplug the computer, wait about 30 seconds and plug it in again. More frequently, the DSL "Gateway" does the same thing and the procedure is the same - unplug it and wait.

As the song says: "Ain't we got fun?" (I notice two "devil" Smilies - is that telling us something?) :wink:

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:47 am

When everything is unresponsive try command-option-escape to bring up the force quit menu, sometimes that can save you from restarting. I'm really not sure if those things you mention could cause the crash, I've seen plenty of crazy reasons that have caused crashing in the past so who knows.

The crash log should be located in your home folder -> Library -> Logs -> Crash Reporter -> (something with GL Golf in the title).
Nuclear Nova Software - Games and Apps for the Mac, iPhone, iPad, and iPod
GL Golf - Pinball Massacre - Barnyard Blaster - Rocket Golf - Liquid Defense - Hydrothermal

Barry
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Post by Barry » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:16 am

I've had it lock up once and got no response from the keys, but only once.

Do you have a surge protector on your system, Neil? Spotty power, whether its from a wonky transformer out on the utility pole or old house wiring, can give your computer fits and cause all sorts of random havoc that will have you yanking your hair out trying to nail down the cause. A UPS (an uninteruptible power supply) is the best powerline regulator. A decent, name-brand one is usually around a hundred bucks.
A surge protector works too, but doesn't take care of the low voltage dropouts as well.

-Barry