GL Golf Suggestions [Mac/iOS Merged]

GL Golf Feedback for the Mac and iPhone
Jack Clark
Nuclear Nova Regular
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: *** GL Golf Suggestions ***

Post by Jack Clark » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:51 pm

So, Jake, since we don't have a St. Andrews Old Course after all, I certainly cast my vote for that one as a new addition. It is, of course, the home of golf and a mecca that attracts players from all over the globe. It also ought to be easier for you to design because there are only 11 separate greens--7 of them being "double yolkers" with two holes in each of them. You play one color of flags on the way out and the other color on the way back in.

Here's a website that has detailed graphics of each hole, if it's any help:
http://www.standrews.org.uk/The-Courses ... ourse.aspx

There are actually 7 different courses at St. Andrews links now. Last time I looked, several years back, there were "only" five. But the Old Course will always be the big attraction. And this year The Open Championship will be held on the Old Course in July.

Thanks, again, for a great program.

Jack

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:19 pm

Thanks for all the info Jack. I'll forward this suggestion onto my course maker
Nuclear Nova Software - Games and Apps for the Mac, iPhone, iPad, and iPod
GL Golf - Pinball Massacre - Barnyard Blaster - Rocket Golf - Liquid Defense - Hydrothermal

Glynn
Nuclear Nova Newbie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: *** GL Golf for the iPhone Suggestions ***

Post by Glynn » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:47 pm

Jake wrote:I'll look into that with the next update, it looks like there may be a few problems with the best round (crashing and using the wrong course on occasion).

Seems to be that the old course in the pro version is the only one that does it. I just know that my 46 is incorrect. But i also suspect that the others are incorrect also.

I have best round on the other 25 courses and if someone shot a 41 Pro on old andrew then i bow to them. but i doubt it legit.

Thanks

walter
Nuclear Nova Legend

Post by walter » Sun May 02, 2010 7:11 am

Jake, you have "laugh at poor shots" how about some rude remarks at poor shots ?

There's a game Fairway Solitaire i like to play that has that feature and it helps to break the tension.
The Famous Adventures of Mr. Magoo - Robin Hood https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzoWVNsY6a4

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Sun May 02, 2010 11:34 am

Nice idea, I'll add it to the list of potential improvements for future updates
GL Golf - Pinball Massacre - Barnyard Blaster - Rocket Golf - Liquid Defense - Hydrothermal

pford
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Post by pford » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:27 pm

Recently purchased course pack 1 and having the same problem as jbradford32. The only course that is keeping high scores is San Jacinto. All others immediately exit the game after completion of the 18th hole. Also exits the game when you go to the "Best Rounds" button for any of the new courses (except San Jacinto).

Jack Clark
Nuclear Nova Regular

Post by Jack Clark » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:44 pm

Hi, Jake-

Hey, thanks for adding the Old Course at St. Andrews! I can hardly wait to get home tonight to upgrade. Love those "real" courses you have. TPC Sawgrass, where The Players Championship is held every May, would be a great addition, also, so that's my vote for the next one.

Just curious: Why did you use the name Rocky Coast instead of the real name of that one? Some sort of permissions problem?

Thanks again for an ever greater program!

Jack

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:47 pm

Glad you like it, I enjoy the replica courses too! TPC Sawgrass would be great. Yeah, something like that with the permissions, :wink:

Jack Clark
Nuclear Nova Regular

Post by Jack Clark » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:06 am

Hey, Jake-

I just played the Old Course and it was great fun! Not the trickiest layout, of course, but it really has the feel of the old place. Thanks very much for this one!

Now, . . . I don't know how you and your course designers feel about famous landmarks, but there are a few, which are actually in play, that you could add to the Old Course that would really boost its character, specifically in Hole No. 17 ("The Road Hole") and Hole No. 18 ("The Home Hole"):

No. 17: This is the most famous, and most pros say hardest, par-4 in golf, largely because of its famous landmarks:

(1) When you tee off you actually drive the ball over the top of some low, dark green sheds with the words "Old Course Hotel" on the side in white letters. You're supposed to aim your drive over the top of that sign, specifically over the "o" in Hotel, if you're that good. That will put you in perfect position on the fairway;

(2) The greenside sand bunker at the front left is called "The Road Hole Bunker." It's a "pot bunker," meaning that it's relatively small in diameter, but very deep. When you're in it, there is a high sod wall you have to hit up and over to get to the green. Famous, famous pot bunker.

(3) The 17th is called "The Road Hole" because there is a road that runs immediately behind it. The green is wide, but shallow as you approach it, and it is easy to hit too long which carries you over a sandy path, over a narrow grassy strip, then over the asphalt road, onto another narrow grassy strip, and then smack up against a stone wall. EVERYTHING is in play, no matter where you land. On Sunday, Miguel Jiminez's ball stopped a foot or so from the stone wall and he had to play a bank shot deliberately off the wall and fly the ball high up and back behind him over the road and onto the green. He pulled it off, too. This is so-o-o-o famous a hole, that you've just gotta add this stuff, if you can!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1EcNXSQXxQ
http://www.pga.com/openchampionship/201 ... 071310.cfm
http://golf.about.com/od/golfcourespict ... rews-2.htm
http://golf.about.com/od/golfcourses/ig ... ews-17.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Road_hole_bunker.jpg
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/38209134/ns/sports-golf/

No. 18: This one should be a lot easier as there are just two famous landmarks:

(1) From the tee, you're driving toward the famous St. Andrews club house. If you could put a rough replica of that behind the 18th green, that'd be fantastic. There is a large clock in the front of the farthest tower on the right that you're supposed to aim for from the tee.

(2) That little creek you have to play over is the Swilken Burn. There is a small stone bridge over it that is super famous as the Swilken Bridge. The great players pause there for a long photo op before they retire from play. This is a hugely-famous landmark. You can find a photo of the bridge and the club house (with the clock in the right tower, if you look close) at:

http://golf.about.com/od/golfcourses/ig ... ews-18.htm
http://www.golfsartgallery.com/arnold-p ... p3302s.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Old_C ... ndrews.JPG

Boy, I hope all this doesn't sound ungrateful for your Old Course addition, 'cause I think it plays great and I can't thank you enough for adding it. It just depends on how interested you are in including the famous landmarks that are actually in play.

Thanks, again, Jake!

Jack

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:14 pm

Thanks for the suggestions Jack! Unfortunately the ones that have buildings and bridges and other features won't be able to be supported by GL Golf, but the deeper sand traps should be easy to add. I'll make sure to make the road bunker deeper in the next update, I watched a long video about that bunker this weekend while watching the open championship, that is one crazy bunker!

Jack Clark
Nuclear Nova Regular

Post by Jack Clark » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:00 pm

Thanks, Jake. Making the Road Hole bunker a real pot bunker will help a lot. I kinda figured the structural stuff would be off limits since I didn't remember seeing any on any other GL Golf course, but that's okay. The new Old Course is very fun to play, with its old-fashioned bunker placements.

drtlight
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Post by drtlight » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:39 pm

Thanks for bringing Sawgrass up, Mr. Clark; I remember playing it on another golf sim back when I could barely reach the keyboard. It is indeed documented crazy-good, so it is an excellent candidate for the next real-world course, probably in January.

matthewmspace
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Post by matthewmspace » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:08 pm

Please add Game Center before iOS 4.2 (iPad 4.0)!

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:40 pm

matthewmspace wrote:Please add Game Center before iOS 4.2 (iPad 4.0)!
That's in the works eventually, I'm pretty excited for it, but it probably won't be ready in time for 4.2 because I have a new game in the works first :)

Mister G
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Post by Mister G » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:15 am

jake,

Not sure if this suggestion has already been made, but....

Occasionally I make a profoundly amazing shot and wish I could somehow share my incredible GL Golf skill and prowess with the GL Golf viewing public. Who am I kidding--it happens all the time! In fact, just this evening on the back nine of Ravenswood--hole in one on the 16th I think it was (the par 3)--the crowd roared! Anyway, this caused me to imagine what could be a great feature of GL Golf, indeed what could perhaps be dubbed a "killer app" (in my opinion anyway): the ability to post to the GL Golf site video captures of amazingly incredible jaw-dropping shots! (or any shot that is particularly notable: for example, some shots end up being humorous for one reason or another). Anyway, I know I personally would get a giant kick out of not just posting the occasional great shot, but also viewing others' great shots. This would almost be like hanging out in the clubhouse after a round and sharing tales of great shots, the ones that got away, and so forth. This might also help to create more camaraderie amongst all of us, get past the anonymity a bit. Such a feature also would ideally display not just the conditions: wind, club, yards, etc., but also in the corner somewhere: level of play, mulligans enabled: yes/no, etc. Maybe it would also be a good idea to somehow limit the number of video-postings that any given player could make each week or month or whatever, to ensure this feature not be over-used/abused (or such a limit could be added later if it indeed was abused). Anyway, I know this feature may sound grandiose, and I don't even know if it is possible to achieve, but just thought I'd throw the idea out there--a feature that might occasionally make us feel like PGA pros whose great shots are being highlighted on the sports segment of the news. --Mister G

ps--Wish I hadn't been out of town for Sept. tournament, Morrocan Links is one of my favorites.
pps--Fingers crossed that the glitch preventing practice rounds, etc., will be fixed in the next update.

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:12 am

Hey Mister G,

That's a great idea. It's on my list of improvements, but I'm still not sure when I'll get to it. I've hit some double eagles from 250+ yards and I would have loved to upload them, and it would be even better to see what all of you golfers are doing! If I can find a way to do this on the iPhone and Mac simultaneously then I'll do it, I bumped it up on my priority list.

It would be really cool to have one of those 26+ under rounds videod and uploaded to youtube, I'd love to see how the GL Golf pros hit their scores.

Glad to have you back for the next tournament, we had a few notable players missing last month and one good one that came back (to win it actually!)

rrtdave
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Post by rrtdave » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:43 pm

What happened to the sound features? Birds in background and that crack when you hit the ball, etc.

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:45 pm

If you're not getting ANY sound, you made need to try deleting and re-installing the app, that should get the sound back for you. If you have any in app purchases, try to buy them again with the same iTunes account. You will be able to re-download everything for free except mulligans, which are consumable purchases and cannot be restored.

As for the bird sounds, those haven't been added yet, I'm still undecided about background ambient noise

Jack Clark
Nuclear Nova Regular

Post by Jack Clark » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:51 am

Jak

Thanks very much for Sawgrass! Great for us realistic-course lovers. I'll be spending the whole of next week at the PGA tournament at Torrey Pines, so will be playing that course on GL Golf a few extra times before then, too.

My nomination for the next realistic course: Bethpage State Park Golf Course, Black Course (generally known as Bethpage Black, for short) in Farmingdale, New York. Probably the top-rated public golf course in the country. The 2002 and 2009 U.S. Opens were played there.

Thanks, again.

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:35 am

Jack Clark wrote:Jak

Thanks very much for Sawgrass! Great for us realistic-course lovers. I'll be spending the whole of next week at the PGA tournament at Torrey Pines, so will be playing that course on GL Golf a few extra times before then, too.

My nomination for the next realistic course: Bethpage State Park Golf Course, Black Course (generally known as Bethpage Black, for short) in Farmingdale, New York. Probably the top-rated public golf course in the country. The 2002 and 2009 U.S. Opens were played there.

Thanks, again.
I'm glad you're enjoying it Jack, I'll forward this post to my course maker so he can see your suggestions.

Have fun at Torrey Pines, it would be amazing to see a PGA event! It should be fun playing the same holes on GL Golf beforehand. I'm hoping to get to see the PGA Championship at Oak Hill in two years when it comes back to Rochester, maybe I'll get out to Phoenix for the WM tournament before then.