About that hole

GL Golf Feedback for the Mac and iPhone
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
neilgbarclay
Nuclear Nova Hero
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

About that hole

Post by neilgbarclay » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:53 am

Whenever I almost make a put, I get an embarrassing "whooooo" from some offscreen crowd.

I submit that a "whoooo" ought to amount to what we duffers refer to as a "gimme." We should, therefore, not be penalized a stroke for the mini-put that is left. In short, a "whooooo" should count as having sunk the put. I would prefer a few feet, but leave that entirely to your discression.

Also, there should be a little man to lift the stick when a really easy put is inevitable. A cartoon partner, as it were. Like in real golf. As opposed, I guess, to professional golf. Altogether too often I hit the damn stick and bounce back into an untenable situation that requires I use up a mulligan. Terribly unsettling to a conscience that ought to be there!

One perhaps odd note: I find the more/most difficulte courses a lot more fun and, believe it or not, comparatively "easier" than the silly 2/5 jobs. I refuse to admit to the number of mulligans, however, on the grounds that it may incriminate me.

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:43 am

I'm sorry about the whooo sounding embarrassing, it was meant to be a positive sound to congratulate you for getting so close.

I think the gimme idea was discussed in one of the threads before, and I decided not to add it. Golf is meant to be challenging, so it is very rewarding to sink a 100 yard shot every once in a while. I think that if gimme's counted it would take away from actually sinking the shot, along with making the game too easy. If I ever did add a gimme it would be a key to just pick up the ball when it is VERY close to the hole while adding a stroke, but I've been in a hurry and missed easy puts before so I don't know if anything is truly a "gimme"

I would love graphics to animate the flag being removed, if I ever get to adding actual golfers to the game then I will look into doing that too.

I'm glad you like the difficult courses, I think I like them more too. The course coming out this weekend is going to be easy, but then the one after that should be around a 4/5 rating.

Thanks for the suggestions, now I think I'm actually going to go out and golf today for the first time this year!
Nuclear Nova Software - Games and Apps for the Mac, iPhone, iPad, and iPod
GL Golf - Pinball Massacre - Barnyard Blaster - Rocket Golf - Liquid Defense - Hydrothermal

Sapphie
Nuclear Nova Legend
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Sapphie » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:02 am

"Add actual golfers to the game"? Not the weird gurning, grimacing, fist-throwing types that appear in certain other golf games I hope! Personally I like the fact that GLGolf is devoid of people! Wouln't mind the odd squirrel, rabbit, bird, cat etc though!

Lee

neilgbarclay
Nuclear Nova Hero

Post by neilgbarclay » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:29 am

To Jake & Sapphie:

I guess I agree about the gimmie. I must have played with real duffers. If they hit the green on their 9th shot, it was a gimmie. I mean, we do have the edifying precedent of one of our recent Presidents!

I'm always embarrassed when I miss so close. I appreciate your sentiment, though, even if it makes me second-guess myself as to what I didn't notice in that tilt in the green.

I'm glad you like the idea of the flag being lifted, even if it has to lift itself. In response to Sapphie, I wouldn't mind at all having a squirrel or hedgehog do the lifting.

The extra mulligans are actually super for learning purposes. It's amazing how much I have to learn on each course.

Yes, I agree with Sapphie. Let's leave people out. Maybe Hobbits?

It's still a great set of games. Sure beats Solitaire!

I think I'll have to renew for the next round of new courses to get the next difficult course. Have you ever thought of dropping some of the rather duplicated easier courses? I have in mind the two St. Andrews - one was quite enough, really.

Those who like golf easy just don't understand the game! Before I quit, I was beginning to think that I'd invented topping the ball. After three holes, nobody wanted to mistake my ball for theirs which were still round without the elastic coming out.

I turned the ball into a smile button on the first swing. Hell, I should have patented it!

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:24 am

Well I'm glad you guys think the golfers should be left out, less work for me! I don't think I'll ever remove courses, I'm happy with the quality and the worst they can do is just take up a menu item (and make downloads a little longer, but most people have broadband now).

You may have invented topping the ball, but I've perfected it! I was losing my touch a few years ago when I played often, but now that I've had the winter off I'm pretty sure I'll be a pro at topping it again.
Nuclear Nova Software - Games and Apps for the Mac, iPhone, iPad, and iPod
GL Golf - Pinball Massacre - Barnyard Blaster - Rocket Golf - Liquid Defense - Hydrothermal