[Mac] GL Golf Beta Program

GL Golf Feedback for the Mac and iPhone
Jake
Site Admin

[Mac] GL Golf Beta Program

Post by Jake » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:20 pm

I've found that I cannot fully test each version of GL Golf well enough to work correctly on the thousands of different computers out there, so I've set up a beta program. This program will allow the beta testers to see all of the new features and course a week or so before everyone else and ensures everything is working properly.

To sign up you must register for this forum, and then click the Usergroups link at the top, and then join the GL Golf Beta group. Once I have a beta version ready I will send an email with more details to everyone in the group.

Thanks,
Jake
Last edited by Jake on Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nuclear Nova Software - Games and Apps for the Mac, iPhone, iPad, and iPod
GL Golf - Pinball Massacre - Barnyard Blaster - Rocket Golf - Liquid Defense - Hydrothermal

Sam Ples
Nuclear Nova Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

I'm Game

Post by Sam Ples » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:09 pm

Jake,

I'm up for testing.

Vince
vincentl10@comcast.net

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:11 pm

Thanks Vince, just make sure to click the Usergroups link at the top and join the group "GL Golf Beta"
GL Golf - Pinball Massacre - Barnyard Blaster - Rocket Golf - Liquid Defense - Hydrothermal

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:11 pm

Beta 2.09 is up at http://nuclearnova.com/fullglgolfbeta.zip . Please post any incompatibilities, major problems, or comments on NEW features here.

Added a new 18 hole course called Ashdown Country Club for subscription pack owners
All games and hole in ones are now logged and can be viewed from the main menu
Added the option to change the default text color from red to anything
Added an option to slow down the power bar to 50% speed (also disables highscores)
Added VBL syncing to prevent graphic tearing
Added an option to disable clapping/applause for good shots
Fixed the name entering window after completing a course to work with low resolution monitors
Fixed driving range flags from not rotating
Putting closer than 10 yards now shows exact the decimal distance to the hole
Faster spinning around after holding in the arrow keys
Fixed fade/draw/hook/spin wording inconsistencies throughout the game
Fixed 8 more holes/pars
4 other small improvements

Oz
Nuclear Nova Newbie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Beta 2.09

Post by Oz » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:42 pm

Thanks for the new version and new course! I only played it a couple of times, so my feedback is preliminary. I'm not sure exactly what VBL syncing is supposed to do, but I definitely noticed that at times, the animation is more choppy with VBL syncing selected. No problems with it de-selected.

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:31 pm

VBL syncs up your monitor to the frame rate of GL Golf, so each refresh of your monitor has a unique frame from GL Golf. This prevents "tearing" that you might be able to see while spinning around in GL Golf.

If it slows down your system and you don't notice a difference go ahead and turn it off. I might have to consider whether I want this on by default or not

AndrewD
Nuclear Nova Legend

Post by AndrewD » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:36 am

Hi Jake, no major problems with 2.09 for me, but Ashdown CC has ridiculously hard greens! I six-putted at 17 on my first round...

I like the game/hole in one logging. Keep up the good work!

AndrewD
Nuclear Nova Legend

Post by AndrewD » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:45 am

Just spotted a minor bug in the round history. My round of 78 at Ashdown CC is logged as -4, whereas my round of 68 is logged as 6. Should be +4 and -6 of course.

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:47 pm

Thanks for the bug, it looks like all of the rounds show the opposite +-, I should be able to fix that real easy, although I probably won't get it for this version most likely the next one

Sapphie
Nuclear Nova Legend

Post by Sapphie » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:13 pm

Jake

Great stuff - love the new course - beautiful; I am playing it in 'winter'.

The VBL feature works a treat for me and has a better visual benefit than the anti-aliasing.

The ability to change th colour from red is a real bonus too - I have set mine to orange/tangerine and is much more readable.

Like the idea of the 50% power bar - but what do you mean that it 'also disables highscores'? I also find that changing this preference doesn't take effect until I start a new game - is that by design?

Also, the Version History command on the Window mwnu does nothing for me.

Great game; I hope you're having as much fun developing it as we are playing it.

Finally, but not related to this release, why is it that I sometimes get a sort of brief flash of blue in the bottom half of the screen, especially when starting a new hole?

Lee

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:08 pm

The disable highscore thing makes it so highscores are not submitted online while using the slow power bar, it would be unfair to the people who use the less accurate fast one. It should however update during the game, that will be fixed for 2.10.

Version history will be fixed in 2.10, I think the menu item is connected to the code which would take about 10 seconds to fix.

I think I have the blue flash fixed, or at least mostly removed, for 2.10

Thanks for the comments, I do enjoy working on GL Golf and I'm glad people actually enjoy playing it!

Sapphie
Nuclear Nova Legend

Autoaim - goes awry when on the green?

Post by Sapphie » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:19 am

Jake

Not just a 2.09 thing, as it was doing it in 2.08 - the autoaim facility seems to go awry when the ball is on the putting green, often aiming it in the totally opposite direction!

Is this a bug? It may be better for it not to attempt an autoaim at all, when on the green?

Lee

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:07 pm

This is a bug, and I know I've sorted it out for multiplayer for 2.10, but I'm not sure about single player. I'll keep looking

Sila
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Post by Sila » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:56 am

I am so confused. What is a subscription pack and what is a course pack? How do I unlock ALL courses and get ALL new ones? Do I have to get both then?
Sila

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:43 pm

If you have the combo pack then all you need is the subscription to get the rest of the courses and the next four. If you have just the plain version of GL Golf ($15), then you need the course pack to get the rest of the current courses (19 now I think), and then the subscription to get the next four courses that I will release over the next year.

Hope this clears things up for you

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:01 pm

Beta 2.10 is up at http://nuclearnova.com/fullglgolfbeta.zip . Please post any incompatibilities, major problems, or comments on NEW features here.

Added a spring season option, which changes graphics and ball behavior
Pressing Z now shows putting green topology with rainbow colors
Added divots when hitting from the fairway/green with an iron/wood
Club sets are now remembered individually for normal/expert/pro settings
Added full screen overhead minimap view by pressing the B key
Improved yard markers with better colors, filtering, and texturing
Multiplayer tee turn order is now based off of previous holes score (honor system)
Fixed flyby hole previews from starting underground
Fixed version history menu item
Slow power bar can now be changed in game
3 other small improvements/fixs

Sapphie
Nuclear Nova Legend

Post by Sapphie » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:27 am

Hi Jake

Good to see another update already. I have only had a quick look but my comments so far are as follows:

Added a spring season option, which changes graphics and ball behavior

Hmn ... I like the idea of different seasons but, maybe it's just me, but the colors on Spring seem a little surreal, especially the water, which for me looks as if it has gone all milky. I am also inclined to say that the chequerboard effect on the green in a little overdone and distracts a little from putting

Pressing Z now shows putting green topology with rainbow colors

Not sure what this is for ... do the colors represent heights?

Added full screen overhead minimap view by pressing the B key

This is nice - I know I asked for an overhead view but I think I was thinking more of something a litttle more interactive. It would be nice if the hole number text etc wasn't all over it. And it would be nice if the white arc showing the range was still there ... and for the arrow keys to rotate the map etc- essentially more like the small minimap but bigger!

I think there is still a need for an option to double the size of the existing minimap ... AND for an overhead view, that perhaps shows from just behind the current ball postition to just beyond the green, rather than showing the whole course - a sort of zoom in on the remaining section.

Multiplayer tee turn order is now based off of previous holes score (honor system)

Not had time to try this yet but thanks for implementing.

Fixed flyby hole previews from starting underground

yes looks fixed - thanks.

2 other oddities - the menu option to return to the main menu seems to be disabled during a game, though ESC lets you get back there.

In Isle West, Spring mode, some of the holes have some odd white dotted or dashed lines showing up in the water areas.

Hope these comments don't all sound too negative!

Lee

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:53 am

Thanks for the comments Lee -

I'll try to tweak the spring season a little more as I'm working on the fall season, I agree that the spring season is a little surreal. I was going for something a little more extreme, but maybe I pushed it too far.

Yes the colors represent the heights, its just another way of getting a feel for the lay of the greens if your not sure from the grey lines.

I'll get rid of the text for the overhead view and allow it to be rotated similar to how the X key rotates right now. I like the idea of lots of views so maybe I'll add one over the ball, and maybe an option to double the minimap size.

I'll check into the main menu thing, its working for me right now so I'm not sure why it isn't for you. I'll also check out Isle West in spring mode, although this was the last course I wanted people to play in during the spring!

Sapphie
Nuclear Nova Legend

Post by Sapphie » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:55 am

Hi Jake

Regarding my comment on Spring mode - maybe it just needed a little playing with as it doesn't seem quite so surreal now, though I have to say that the water is a little odd - doesn't look much like water to me!

Regarding the main menu thing - it hasn't happened again, probably user error!

Lee

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:51 am

I'm glad the spring mode looks a little better after some playing, and I know what you mean about the water that is the most surreal part of the landscape. I've had a hard time getting the water to look good on any of the seasons, it's definitely the hardest part to do.

I'm glad the menu thing hasn't happened again, I couldn't figure that one out.

Thanks for all three posts today!