BRILLIANT IDEA !

GL Golf Feedback for the Mac and iPhone
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
neilgbarclay
Nuclear Nova Hero
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

BRILLIANT IDEA !

Post by neilgbarclay » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:39 am

Oh Jacko me boy,

Here I be again with another nifty idea.

Except for the pros, we others need a "gimmie" option. It would work something like this: if the putt lands within 2 or 3 inches of the hole, a "gimmie" key could be activated (say "g") and we would be sent to the next hole without being penalized an extra swing.

Even "experienced" golfers allow that.

At present, if I get close, I just take a mulligan, make the necessary adjustment, and putt over.

A "gimmie" would accomplish the same thing without making me feel I've cheated. (I do enough of that, as it is: for example when I have to swing without being able to see either the pin or the hole - or even the BALL in one instance!)

Regards,

No Good Boyo

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:25 am

I was always under the understanding that a gimmie was just a close shot that you picked up, but where still charged for the extra stroke. Are you asking that very close shots are just automatically holed, without a stroke? If thats the case I'm not sure if I'll be able to add that, but I could consider making the game automatically put very close shots to speed up the game. I've added this to my list of things to do, which I've finally actually started to clean up from all of the recent suggestions
Nuclear Nova Software - Games and Apps for the Mac, iPhone, iPad, and iPod
GL Golf - Pinball Massacre - Barnyard Blaster - Rocket Golf - Liquid Defense - Hydrothermal

redmelons
Nuclear Nova Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by redmelons » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:53 pm

Jargon-busting: Gimme
A ‘gimme’ - short for "give it to me" - is a putt conceded by an opponent at his discretion when he does not think there is any chance you will miss.
The putt would be too close and too simple to make you go through the motions of finishing the hole.

Only in matchplay golf is this possible, because in strokeplay all shots must be played and a hole has not been completed until the ball is safely in the cup.
Can't see the point of it myself - you either get the ball in or you don't - a miss is a miss.

neilgbarclay
Nuclear Nova Hero

Gimmie - a break

Post by neilgbarclay » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:25 pm

Jake and Redmelons:

I shall not continue the debate because I am ignorant of the real definition.

I was always of the impression, though, that gimmies didn't count; but I assume that depends upon where you are and with whom you are playing (read cheating.)

Of course, after Bill "Mulligan" Clinton, a gimmie is anything closer than 300 feet and he holds the record on every course he ever played. But I don't suggest Jake incorporate Bill's Rules.

Disregard my suggestion.

Now, here's something: some of those trees don't LOOK solid, but the ball wont go throught them . . . i.e., trees and things the ball won't go through should look solid. Just an idea.