Internet scores

GL Golf Feedback for the Mac and iPhone
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
redmelons
Nuclear Nova Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Internet scores

Post by redmelons » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:24 am

How come all the high scores on the internet score tables are in the region of -26 or so? Is it really possible to go around these courses using less than three strokes per hole? It's quite dispiriting for someone like me who is chuffed if he achieves par for the course :)

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:05 pm

Thats a good question, and I'm not really sure! I have security measures in place so that cheating is much more difficult, so I think the scores are legitimately done. Some of the previous versions were much less random, so players could more constantly make long shots.

I don't want to reset the scores because its unfair for the people who have worked to get them, so hopefully the local highscores are good enough to help you keep track. In the future I might add a third section for internet games played in the past month, that way they will constantly be changing and will be much more obtainable.
Nuclear Nova Software - Games and Apps for the Mac, iPhone, iPad, and iPod
GL Golf - Pinball Massacre - Barnyard Blaster - Rocket Golf - Liquid Defense - Hydrothermal

redmelons
Nuclear Nova Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by redmelons » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:12 pm

jake wrote:I might add a third section for internet games played in the past month
Great idea.

AndrewD
Nuclear Nova Legend

Recent highscores

Post by AndrewD » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:01 am

I agree this is a great idea. A lot of the low scores were only obtainable in old versions of GLGolf (I know, I'm very proud of my top score on Augusta pro and I assure you it was genuine!), especially because the ball could run a lot further on each shot (and even more so with the wind behind). Although the code that makes the greens absorb a lot more energy has made the clubs play much more to their yardage, it has put a stop to my old ploy of landing short and trickling a long way onto the greens. The thing is, this is actually very realistic play for links courses that are very hard and dry (like St Andrews) but not for the more modern American courses which tend to be softer. How about having different levels of energy absorption for different courses? Maybe only on the pro level? Must not be random per round though or the Internet highscores will be meaningless again.

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:45 pm

Thanks for the great info Andrew! I'll add your idea about the different absorption effects to my list of things to do, I'm not sure what exactly will happen yet but I'll give it some thought.
Nuclear Nova Software - Games and Apps for the Mac, iPhone, iPad, and iPod
GL Golf - Pinball Massacre - Barnyard Blaster - Rocket Golf - Liquid Defense - Hydrothermal