[Mac] GL Golf Beta Program

GL Golf Feedback for the Mac and iPhone
Jake
Site Admin

Re: [Mac] GL Golf Beta Program

Post by Jake » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:28 pm

Glad you like it! In 2.40 you'll be able to customize the golfer instead of it being random like it is now, I had to get this update finished to work on other stuff so I saved that for later. Could you post a screenshot on hole 3 when you can? Thanks,
Nuclear Nova Software - Games and Apps for the Mac, iPhone, iPad, and iPod
GL Golf - Pinball Massacre - Barnyard Blaster - Rocket Golf - Liquid Defense - Hydrothermal

voicebox
Nuclear Nova Legend

Post by voicebox » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:45 pm

Hi Jake,

It looks as though I will have to email you the screenshots!

Best wishes

John.

pb2au
Nuclear Nova Legend
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by pb2au » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:33 pm

Hackinow County (v2.39) is a nice course. It progresses in nicely in difficulty from white tees, where you have a decent shot at an eagle on the par 5s as well as some of the par 4s and 3s, to the blue tees, where skill is required to post a birdie or even a par. The new graphics us nice and the LPGA will be pleased with the addition of a female avatar. I echo John's frustration in selecting the sex and attire of the player, and wait to here your answer to him. Is Winter the default season for this course? I have yet to find a bug. Nice addition the the large number of courses.
--d@ve

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:05 pm

Yep, winter is the default. May look a little strange but it definitely plays different than the other seasons. Should be able to customize in 2.40
GL Golf - Pinball Massacre - Barnyard Blaster - Rocket Golf - Liquid Defense - Hydrothermal

Sam Ples
Nuclear Nova Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Sam Ples » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:50 am

Jake,

While playing the second hole of Bethpage Black my tee shot bounced once on the fairway, then through a suddenly appearing hole in the ground and emerged in the rough to the right of the green. For a moment there I thought it was going to turn into Alice In Wonderland Golf, just in case your looking for a new game idea.

Vince

bobwoolsey
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Post by bobwoolsey » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:25 pm

Hi Jake: I hope this is where I can post about helping out with the Betas. Let me know if i need to do something else.

Bob Woolsey

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:02 pm

bobwoolsey wrote:Hi Jake: I hope this is where I can post about helping out with the Betas. Let me know if i need to do something else.

Bob Woolsey
I've added you Bob, Thanks.

voicebox
Nuclear Nova Legend

Post by voicebox » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:29 am

Hi Jake,

The more I play Hackinow County, the more I enjoy it! Version 2.390 (823)

Just to let you know that the ball is still appearing behind the driver at tee off and also when using fairway woods (NOT irons) on the fairway of every hole, BUT only when playing using the female golfer model - in fact it happens with all the the female golfer models and not the male golfer models - perhaps Sigmund Freud might have had a theory about this ....!!
I am still getting the same jumbled text that you saw in the screenshot I sent you, but not as regular as before. In fact it happens usually on the first few holes 1 - 4 and then only after I have finished playing the hole. Strange thing is that it does not happen all the time ..... I am running Mountain Lion 10.8.2 by the way.
Otherwise, it is a terrific job Jake - I am looking forward to playing in two player mode with one female golfer and one male golfer - then my wife can play as well - because I must confess that at the moment she tells me that it is a bit worrying having one male golfer called 'voicebox' and another one who is called 'Marie Dressler' ....oh I don't know though ...!!

Best wishes,

John (voicebox)

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:42 pm

Beta 2.40 is up a bit earlier than I expected at http://nuclearnova.com/fullglgolfbeta.zip. Please post any incompatibilities, major problems, or comments on new features here. Happy New Years in a couple of days too!

Customize golfer screen
Celebration/Disappointment animations
Added a new course, Muirfield Village Golf Club
Notification system for Nuclear Nova Software announcements
Graphics continue to update after finishing a hole
Fixed trees bleeding into sky on medium quality mode
Retina display support turned off by default, option located in Graphics menu
Driver and woods no longer sit on ball for female character
Removed custom text coloring, which could cause crashing
New 3D model format, smaller files, less files, and faster loading

pb2au
Nuclear Nova Legend

Post by pb2au » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:19 am

At first blush Muirfield Village is another great course. The golfer is presented with a number of choices as to how he or she intends to play a particular hole. I found nothing objectionable, except that there was some sort of video glitch when I stared a swing, but didn't finish it. It was as short as a camera flash, so I can't describe it very well. I saw no other video problems. The problem of the conflicting text after finishing a hole has been fixed.
The customized golfer is a nice touch, and worked very well.
I'll do some more testing. Perhaps next year.
Happy New Year
--d@ve

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:01 pm

Great news, I think this one came out pretty good and with a few rounds on the Mac and iPhone I couldn't find any glitches before submitting the beta. Thanks!

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:17 am

Beta 2.41 is up at http://nuclearnova.com/fullglgolfbeta.zip. Please post any incompatibilities, major problems, or comments on new features here. Happy New Years in a couple of days too!

Added a new course, Cantonville
Fixed strange rendering issues on certain settings
Mini-map and power bar clamp to edges of screen
New interface backgrounds/banners
New icon
Removed 11 unneeded menu and screen options
Fixed two individual hole bugs
Updated best rounds screen for current seasons
Cleaned up code base, more efficient and less buggy

voicebox
Nuclear Nova Legend

Post by voicebox » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:34 am

Hi Jake,

On my first playing of v2.41 - it looks great and the new hole, Cantonville is both enjoyable and quite challenging!

But on nearly every hole the minimaps now seem to be out of sync with what can be seen on the main view - the ball and shot direction seems to be at odds with what is shown on the main screen. Some holes are worse than others, when lining up a shot directly at the hole on the main screen, the minimap shows the line way off to the right or the left! I can send screen shots if you wish. I am running OS X 10.8.2 by the way.
Also, my name now seems to have changed when I post a score - it was 'voicebox', but now it has changed to 'nobody'.
Mind you, on the other hand, some of my pals might say that about sums up my life!!

Best wishes,

John. (voicebox)

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:19 am

Good catch on the minimap, working on this as we speak!

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:26 pm

Beta 2.42 is up at http://nuclearnova.com/fullglgolfbeta.zip. Please post any incompatibilities, major problems, or comments on new features here.

Improved water graphics, wave animations
Tournaments now use different courses each round
Added a new course, Borden's Pass
Different player clothes/skins for multiplayer games
Improved text engine - Non-fixed width fonts and less character glitches
Ambient sound effects
Added carry/roll stats for each hit
Added pin and tees to mini-map
Fixed several mini-map issues
Removed floating trees in some areas
Removed unneeded code and improved outdated code
Fixed crash after bouncing over cup using old club models

voicebox
Nuclear Nova Legend

Post by voicebox » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:15 am

Hi Jake,

The new course Borden's Pass Country Club is a delight!

But what's going on with the Tournament?
On the Upcoming Tournaments page the course listed for June 20 - June 27th is Grand Lake, yet when I clicked the Tournament Button the course to be played was Torrey Pines South. Now I understand from the update to 2.42 that the Tournament courses will change for each round, but I read on the Upcoming page that that doesn't begin until July with the three St Andrews Courses, the Old Course being played twice ....

So after a very busy few days I went back to play my second round of the Tournament this morning and instead of Torrey Pines I found myself at GL Classic - in the Fall, which I played.... and after I posted my score on the Best Rounds page I saw that I should have been playing the Breaker's Coast course .......! So my score of 81( bad morning!) on the GL Classic course looks as though I scored 81 on the Breaker's Coast course ......!! Also, on the Best Rounds page only 4 rounds seem to have been completed - 2 rounds by you on the 3/04/13 and 25/06/13 with a score of - 277 and - 284 and a Test round of - 213 on 25/06/13 and 'voicebox' (me) with a score of - 207.
It appears that I have 3 rounds left to play, but I should have 2 rounds left to play ( in fact I have run out of time with only one day left of the Tournament!)
Also my first round - 55 on the Torrey Pines course (I have three rounds left) on the 20th is now nowhere to be seen ....

As usual, my best wishes,

John (voicebox) or now 'Confused of London' :!: :!: :?: :?:

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:42 am

I'm glad you like the new course, it came out good I thought!

Yes, the tournament format is changing in the next version! Now we can change courses for each round. As for this months tournament, that was an error where I had Grand Lake on the webpage and actually had it setup for Torrey Pines on the server.

Since you had the beta, you were playing my test multi-round tournament and excluded from the standard tournament, sorry about that! Version 2.42 will be released to everyone in a week or two, and it will be required for all of the new tournaments. There will be no "old" tournaments, so anyone with an old version will have to upgrade to play the new four course tournament in July. I now have all of the next tournaments listed correctly, see below. Thanks

http://nuclearnova.com/games/glgolf/glgolftournament/

voicebox
Nuclear Nova Legend

Post by voicebox » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:58 am

Hi Jake,

Thank you for the explanation - all now is clear and understood!

I can't wait for the new format in July, I think it is an excellent idea - a sort of Alfred Dunhill Links Championship that takes place in Scotland every September.
By the way, any thoughts of replicating more links courses - Carnoustie, Turnberry or Royal Troon for example?

Good to see that the 'flying tree' phenomenon is finally sorted, although in some ways I will miss it!! And the mini-maps are now much better - terrific!

It is good to see that you are continually working to make a great golf game even greater Jake - a lot of my PC/Windows golfing pals are quite envious .... a couple of them have even bought an iMac each - they can now run their precious Windows system via Boot Camp and play Golf GL via OS X Mountain Lion!!
So there you have it Jake, you didn't know it - but you are indirectly responsible for an upsurge in Apple Computer sales - that should really make you proud ....!! :lol:
All best wishes,
John.

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:17 pm

Definitely more replica's coming, though we're not sure which ones yet. I'm glad you're enjoying the improvements, for the fun of it every once in a while I go play a version that's several years old and am amazed as to how different it is.

You've caught me, as an Apple stock holder GL Golf was just marketing material to convert a few extra users over to Mac users! I'm glad they switched though, I don't know many people who get Macs and regret it

Thanks,

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:01 am

Beta 2.43 is up at http://nuclearnova.com/fullglgolfbeta.zip. Please post any incompatibilities, major problems, or comments on new features here.

This version was built with the new XCode5, so I'm always weary on backwards compatibility when I upgrade my development tools. Hopefully it still works fine for everyone on 10.6 and 32-bit processors

Character clothing pack
Added a new 18 hole course
Fixed +- par scores on tournaments
Option to turn off ambient sounds
Spin/Loft/Fade modifiers no longer changeable in backswing
Fixed auto look after holing out on multiplayer games
Fixed bug where saving/resuming tournaments could lose progress
Fixed end game scorecard player names
Fixed memory leaks that could cause crashing after many rounds
Fixed several holes on St Andrew's New, Borden Pass, and Oakmont
New affiliate links, removed Linkshare