My First Nova Golf Game Played

Nova Golf Feedback for the Mac and iPhone
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ryanoceros
Nuclear Nova Legend
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

My First Nova Golf Game Played

Post by ryanoceros » Wed May 02, 2012 3:29 pm

I just bought it and played it for the first time, briefly. Interesting. It will definitely take some getting used to. It's very different from GL Golf.
So far I'm still trying to figure it all out. It seems a bit confusing at this point. I suppose I just got used to the simplicity of GL Golf.
But I'll give it some time and let you all know how i feel about it, likes and dislikes. So far I like the graphics. However, the 2 power/accuracy bars confuse me a bit. I liked the single power bar of GL Golf. But I suppose I will eventually get used to it.
Anyway, it looks nice and the price was right. :)

Jake
Site Admin

Re: My First Nova Golf Game Played

Post by Jake » Wed May 02, 2012 6:19 pm

Yeah, definitely a different game than GL Golf. I'm interested to see what the hardcore GL Golfers will choose down the road, I have a feeling both. It is tricky, and leveling up a character is a must, but in the end I think it's going to be more challenging/fun than GL Golf. Yeah definitely let me know what to improve, we'll be updating this game just like we did with GL Golf.

PS - We'd love a quick app store review if you don't mind, we're gaining momentum climbing the top app ranks and want to get anything we can to keep us going higher!
Nuclear Nova Software - Games and Apps for the Mac, iPhone, iPad, and iPod
GL Golf - Pinball Massacre - Barnyard Blaster - Rocket Golf - Liquid Defense - Hydrothermal

RichardIII
Nuclear Nova Legend
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by RichardIII » Fri May 04, 2012 6:03 am

I, too just bought it and tried my first experiments. I only hit one shot. I'm the type that sets up all my options first, and so far I can't get things the way I want them. Is there a manual somewhere?? :roll: Can I change how the golfer looks? I liked the guy from GL golf..... How do I enter my golfer's name?
I was only in practice mode, but the play seems very good so far. Only one course so far? Anyway, I'll soldier on for now :)

Rich

Moose
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Post by Moose » Fri May 04, 2012 7:59 am

Love GL but I'm lost on Nova. I see Career Mode, Practice etc., but don't see where I pick the course to play. And I don't understand the two power bars at all. Help!

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Fri May 04, 2012 8:36 am

No manual yet, but that might be a good feature for 1.1 because everyone seems to be having trouble finding their way around the app. Three courses now, any orange text you can click to change/edit, so that's how you configure your golfer/name and change courses.

Moose, just press Practice then Start (making sure you have 14/14 clubs selected) and that will get you into a game quickly, or in the Career menu you can easily start the first tournament.

The first power bar chooses power, just like GL Golf. The second power bar helps determine accuracy, though it's not the only thing (lie of ball, accuracy/putting/recovery character statistics).

Best advice I can give is just start clicking everywhere and explore, once you get the hang of it the game is relatively simple to navigate. Just a bit different than GL Golf
GL Golf - Pinball Massacre - Barnyard Blaster - Rocket Golf - Liquid Defense - Hydrothermal

RichardIII
Nuclear Nova Legend

Post by RichardIII » Fri May 04, 2012 8:48 am

Thanks Jake, as usual :mrgreen:

Rich 8)

Moose
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Post by Moose » Fri May 04, 2012 7:34 pm

Thanks Jake. Starting to get it figured out. On the power gauge, is light blue optimal and red at the top "overswinging?" Or do we want to stop as close to the top as possible? On the directional gauge is it always best to try for the light blue or would going to one side or the other be a manual draw or fade?

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Sat May 05, 2012 8:55 am

Light blue is ideal. On the second gauge I would always go for the middle, if you are off it will be random whether or not it will be a manual push/pull and fade/draw (or slice/hook if it's bad enough!)

voicebox
Nuclear Nova Legend

Post by voicebox » Tue May 08, 2012 9:13 am

Moose wrote:Love GL but I'm lost on Nova. I see Career Mode, Practice etc., but don't see where I pick the course to play. And I don't understand the two power bars at all. Help!
Hi Jake,
First of all, thanks for the discounted price for the first week - a great idea for which I am sure all your fans are extremely grateful!
Secondly, I have to agree with Moose, although I did read your reply about the two power bars Jake.
I don't particularly care for the way the power bars work - and having no mouse control only space bar control from the outset is a mistake in my view. Also, am I alone in thinking that the 'Golfer' graphics look like over muscled behemoths on steroids..??!!

Apart from all that, in general I do like the look of Nova, the fairway graphics, bushes, trees etc and the background sounds in particular are fun - but after trying to play about 6 rounds or so, I am afraid that I find playing Nova golf gives me no joy whatsoever at the moment - only irritation and frustration... :x

Therefore I will be sticking to Golf GL for my 'morning golf hit' until Nova golf has evolved a little more!

Best,

John.

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Wed May 09, 2012 8:49 am

Mouse control is coming for sure in 1.01, very easy to add, I just always use space bar so I didn't realize I should add the button!

I'm going to keep working on the game. Would you find the game less frustrating if the character wasn't so nerfed on stats/equipment to start out with? I definitely want players to level up and get better, but if the game is too difficult from the start I guess it could cause frustration

voicebox
Nuclear Nova Legend

Post by voicebox » Wed May 09, 2012 11:29 am

Jake wrote:Mouse control is coming for sure in 1.01, very easy to add, I just always use space bar so I didn't realize I should add the button!

I'm going to keep working on the game. Would you find the game less frustrating if the character wasn't so nerfed on stats/equipment to start out with? I definitely want players to level up and get better, but if the game is too difficult from the start I guess it could cause frustration
Hi Jake,

Thanks for that, I think you are right about the character being 'nerfed' on stats/equipment - as always you hit the nail on the head!
As I said earlier, I'll wait awhile for Nova to evolve - mouse control would I think take away a lot of my frustration!

All best wishes,

John

snvboy
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Post by snvboy » Wed May 09, 2012 9:55 pm

I gotta say that I didn't feel 'nerfed' at all. I think being able to quickly 'win' a couple of 100 credit tourneys makes a big difference in that, so you can make a fast jump up to the next level on a couple clubs. I think that's part of the challenge - where to spend the credits and experience points to get the most 'bang' to hit the next level.

voicebox
Nuclear Nova Legend

Post by voicebox » Mon May 14, 2012 8:34 am

Hi Jake,

I know I said I would wait awhile for Nova to evolve, but like Deano said on another page, I too feel drawn back to the game, time after time - another junkie I guess!
On the other hand, I think there is something masochistic in continually four putting nearly every darn green! Every time I make 'Par', I reward myself with a chocolate biscuit - I can assure you I am not gaining any weight!!
Is there any way that one can practice one's putting skills on these unforgiving greens Jake? Hole 6 on Nova Desert is a case in point - Deano tried 45 shots before giving up - sadly, I don't have his patience, I gave up after 30! I have to keep quitting and restarting the app.
It would be helpful if one could play a practice round with unlimited mulligans on each course (like Golf GL) in order to hone one's skills - especially using the two 'bars'. Or am I missing something in 'Settings'?
I adore the ambient sounds though! :D 8)

Best wishes,

John

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Mon May 14, 2012 12:03 pm

You definitely can practice, when you click Practice from the main menu click Full 18 and it will change to Practice, just like GL Golf.

I may slow down the greens a bit on the next version, it appears they are playing at US Open conditions right now!

voicebox
Nuclear Nova Legend

Post by voicebox » Mon May 14, 2012 6:36 pm

Jake wrote:You definitely can practice, when you click Practice from the main menu click Full 18 and it will change to Practice, just like GL Golf.

I may slow down the greens a bit on the next version, it appears they are playing at US Open conditions right now!
Thank you Jake for the heads up - I didn't explore the software properly - apologies!
No doubt I will let you know when I do!
As for the greens - Wow! US Open conditions eh? What a fright - thank God I don't earn a living in the World of Golf - give me the theatre any day!

Best wishes
John