GL Golf Suggestions [Mac/iOS Merged]

GL Golf Feedback for the Mac and iPhone
Jack Clark
Nuclear Nova Regular
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: *** GL Golf Suggestions ***

Post by Jack Clark » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:21 pm

Hi, Jake-

A small thing but it should be an easy fix: The scorecard that shows at the end of a game has "IN" after the first 9 holes and "OUT" after the second 9. Should be the other way around. You play "OUT" away from the clubhouse, and then you play your way back "IN." Standard golf nomenclature.

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:23 pm

Hi Jack,

I think this is fixed in the newest version (it is on mine), if not then it definitely will be for the next version. Thanks,
Nuclear Nova Software - Games and Apps for the Mac, iPhone, iPad, and iPod
GL Golf - Pinball Massacre - Barnyard Blaster - Rocket Golf - Liquid Defense - Hydrothermal

walter
Nuclear Nova Legend
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by walter » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:42 pm

What i would like to have is to be able to play the "demo" game or even better the ability to set up 18 holes by for example selecting the first hole from the first 18 games.

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:23 pm

I could maybe enable the demo for registered users. I do plan on making some compilation courses again in the future, first on the list is Hardest Holes Volume 2, then maybe an Easiest Holes course. Not sure if you'll be able to make your own though, though it could be fun.
GL Golf - Pinball Massacre - Barnyard Blaster - Rocket Golf - Liquid Defense - Hydrothermal

walter
Nuclear Nova Legend

Post by walter » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:18 am

Jake wrote:I
Not sure if you'll be able to make your own though, though it could be fun.
And somehow share with other registered GolfLover's.

Texasag91
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Re: *** GL Golf for the iPhone Suggestions ***

Post by Texasag91 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:21 am

I sometimes wind up taking accidental swings when changing clubs because the entire screen is sensitive to both vertical and horizontal sweeps of the finger. Is there a way to restrict swing selection to only the area on the screen denoted by the word "swing"?

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:29 pm

Texasag91 wrote:I sometimes wind up taking accidental swings when changing clubs because the entire screen is sensitive to both vertical and horizontal sweeps of the finger. Is there a way to restrict swing selection to only the area on the screen denoted by the word "swing"?
Good idea. Originally you had to double tap, and when I added the Swing button I got rid of that feature. I'll make some change for 1.11 or 1.12 for sure!

Glynn
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Post by Glynn » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:45 pm

the scores for the old course are invalid. even my 46, i did that on the couse below it, and it scored it to andrew old.

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:22 am

I'll look into that with the next update, it looks like there may be a few problems with the best round (crashing and using the wrong course on occasion).

jbradford32
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Post by jbradford32 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:20 pm

Hello,

I recently purchases CoursePack 3 and I'm having a problem. It doesn't appear that its able to save scores for any of the courses in that pack (Happy Pines, Ravenswood, Grand Lake, etc.)

After the 18th hole it doesn't give me the option to save my score on any of these courses. Also, if I choose one of these courses and select " Best Rounds" it closes the GL Golf app completely and returns me to my iphone homepage.

Thank you,

John

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:18 pm

Hi John,

This problem has been happening for some people, I have a good idea of what it is but won't have a chance to get to it until 1.11 in early April. Until then sorry about the inconvenience, and I'm really glad it's not crashing in the actual game.

Jack Clark
Nuclear Nova Regular

Post by Jack Clark » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:49 am

Hi, Jake-

I, too, like the "real" courses. Any chance of getting St. Andrews Old Course and TPC Sawgrass (or facsimiles) soon?

Jack Clark
Idyllwild, California

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:12 pm

St. Andrews Old course is already there, and I'm not sure which replica is next but I think one of the next two courses will definitely be a replica.

walter
Nuclear Nova Legend

Post by walter » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:50 am

Jake, some of the earlier courses have always bothered me in the sense that the putting greens appeared to be on an island with no visible access except by swimming from the fairway out to the hole.

For example, the classic course, and hole 8 in particular. How do i "walk" by myself and my clubs over the water ( graphics somewhat bad here ) to be able to put on that hole? Or perhaps, it's the graphics on my iMaC because the colour of the water is some god awful brown orange. There are some other examples however it's been some time since I've played those earlier courses simply because getting to the putting greens seemed unrealistic.
The Famous Adventures of Mr. Magoo - Robin Hood https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzoWVNsY6a4

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:42 pm

Some of those holes are a bit unrealistic, I think we'll shy away from making new ones, but I do like playing the old ones sometimes still. As for the orange water, change the season from fall and that will change the water color.

Jack Clark
Nuclear Nova Regular

Post by Jack Clark » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:03 pm

Wow! Which one is the St. Andrews Old Course replica? I haven't recognized it yet, even though I played the auld girl once.

Jack Clark
Nuclear Nova Regular

Post by Jack Clark » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:31 pm

As far as going into a water hazard is concerned, almost every time I do that GL Golf gives me a one stroke penalty and drops my ball on the green side of the water hazard. This lets me off too easily. It should not happen unless my ball landed on the green side of the water hazard and trickled backward into it. If it just goes into the water hazard on the fly, the ball should be dropped behind the water hazard from the green in line with where the ball crossed the line into the hazard.

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:16 am

Ah you're right, I mixed up Jubilee with the new course.

As for the water dropping, I think I know how to fix that, I'll add it to my too do list.

Jack Clark
Nuclear Nova Regular

Post by Jack Clark » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:38 am

walter wrote:Jake, some of the earlier courses have always bothered me in the sense that the putting greens appeared to be on an island with no visible access except by swimming from the fairway out to the hole.
Well, Jake could just add a little row boat in the graphics somewhere, maybe? :wink:

The greens that get me are the domed ones that are shaped like an upside-down bowl with the hole in the top. When I encounter one of those, I usually just quit the round and try to remember to avoid that course. :? I guess I'm a bit too much into realistic golf. Maybe I'll loosen up with time. But Jake does such a good job with the realistic courses--like Torrey Pines South, which I've played many times--that I can just stick to those courses, if I want.

Jack Clark
Nuclear Nova Regular

Post by Jack Clark » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:28 pm

Jake wrote:As for the water dropping, I think I know how to fix that, I'll add it to my too do list.
Jake, the part where I mentioned dropping on the green side of a water hazard only if the ball hits the bank on the green side and then comes back into the water? I oversimplified during that discussion. That rule actually applies only where the water hazard is deemed a lateral water hazard [red line markings]. If it's a lateral water hazard you have an additional drop option that is not available with regular water hazards, i.e., you get to drop at any point no nearer the hole and within two club lengths in any direction from the point where the ball last crossed into the lateral water hazard. So, in the case of a lateral water hazard, you can almost always drop somewhere on the green side of it.

But if it's just a regular water hazard [yellow line markings], e.g., a pond in front of a green, and the ball hits the bank on the green side and then comes back into the water, you don't get to drop within two club lengths of where it last crossed into the water hazard. You have to drop along a straight line between the hole and the point where the ball last crossed into the hazard and no nearer the hole. This necessarily means that you would be dropping on the near side of the water hazard, not the green side. So you usually end up having to shoot over the water hazard again. You also have the option of just hitting your next shot from the same spot from where you hit the shot that ended up in the water hazard. This is under both USGA and R&A rules, so . . . good luck with this!

I've played courses where the course committee had deemed all water hazards, no matter where they are or what they look like, to be lateral water hazards, but many courses have both. Sometimes the same body of water can be marked as both a water hazard and a lateral water hazard at different locations along its bank.
Last edited by Jack Clark on Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.