GL Golf Suggestions [Mac/iOS Merged]

GL Golf Feedback for the Mac and iPhone
Jake
Site Admin

Re: *** GL Golf for the iPhone Suggestions ***

Post by Jake » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:28 pm

All scores should be posted, I have logs of tens of thousands of games and all of my games submitted, so I'm not sure why they aren't being submitted for you. I'll look into it. I'll see if I can fix the mulligan workaround too, that trick was not intended!

Pro mode will remain, I have many users that love it. It is meant to be very challenging, much harder than expert or normal mode.
Nuclear Nova Software - Games and Apps for the Mac, iPhone, iPad, and iPod
GL Golf - Pinball Massacre - Barnyard Blaster - Rocket Golf - Liquid Defense - Hydrothermal

jandefischer
Nuclear Nova Newbie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by jandefischer » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:30 pm

Jake,

Wow. This trick of hitting home whenever you don't like a shot explains all of the super low scores. Anytime the ball has not yet come to rest you can hit home and then replay the shot. You can do this over and over again until you get a shot you like. You can "hone" in on a perfect shot. I tried this on Breakers Coast and had 7 under after 5 holes. I rarely can do that for 18. No wonder there are so many iPhone scores in the 40's and low 50's.

John

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:21 pm

Yeah, I'll have to reset most of if not all the scores for version 1.02 :(.
GL Golf - Pinball Massacre - Barnyard Blaster - Rocket Golf - Liquid Defense - Hydrothermal

mf ben
Nuclear Nova Newbie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by mf ben » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:43 pm

I'm surprised no one else has come forth with it before....the people benefiting from it ARE cheaters though, so I guess it's no surprise at all.

I wanted to raise an issue related to some of the greens as well; as others have mentioned some of them are sloped to the point they're almost unputtable. Additionally, some of the most severe slopes will sometimes not break at all, or break against the hill (there is a par 3 at rocky beach that does this, don't recall the hole #). Most of the par 3's at Augusta have this issue in once place or another.

Re: My score posting problem...as I type I am -18 through 16 at Augusta on expert (no mulligans damnit). If this score doesn't post I declare shenanigans/conspiracy/the man keeping me down.

Edit: Failed once again. If I stop halfway through a round and resume, do I have to set the menu at the same course/difficulty level before I hit resume? I always assumed not since it takes me back to the right course/hole/shot and I know I'm on expert since there's no aiming thingy in front of the club.

When I finish the round and it goes to the list of best scores, it usually shows a list that doesn't match the course/difficulty level that I just finished.

This really sucks. Just shot a 52 on expert at Augusta and some shmoe with a 57 is still sitting at #1. WTF. This would have been especially sweet since my ONE score I got to post ever was #1, and I got knocked down to #2. Vengeance should be mine :evil: .

schplurg
Nuclear Nova Member

Post by schplurg » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:38 pm

Hello again!

Still lovin the game...couple more issues though.

1. Steep greens wouldn't be so bad if it were possible to putt hard enough to reach the cup. Sometimes full speed only gets the ball halfway there on a bad slope...and I'm not talking full length of the green either.

2. Hopefully "lie angle affecting the shot" will fix this one. My ball landed on a steep hill in front of a green. When I tried to chip up my ball flew directly into the hill, going about 1 foot. Even with a full swing wedge...same result.

That high score bug makes me feel much better now. Hopefully it gets fixed and ALL high scores reset :)

I have a tee time in 5 minutes...gotta go!

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:55 am

Sorry about the greens, some of them are tricky and may require a wedge instead of the putter. I've already added a 60 yard putter to the mac version so eventually I want to add it to the iPhone version, but that might take a while (so busy right now).

Sorry about the score not posting problem, hopefully I can figure that out!

Schplurg, on those steep shots make sure to maximize loft and use a higher shooting club to get out.

Gotta run now, Thanks for the posts!

mf ben
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Post by mf ben » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:52 pm

I think I figured out the issue w/ the scores not getting submitted...I think it has to do w/ the internet scoring not accepting names that have a space in them. :oops:

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:01 pm

mf ben wrote:I think I figured out the issue w/ the scores not getting submitted...I think it has to do w/ the internet scoring not accepting names that have a space in them. :oops:
Oh wow, good catch! I'll replace all spaces with underscores in the next version to prevent that from happening!

baseballmartz8
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Post by baseballmartz8 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:53 pm

it's mid December and I was just wondering when the next update will be available?

thanks

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:45 am

Apple closes there iTunes Connect program from the 24th to 27th, so I probably won't be able to get the update reviewed until later in the month or early next month. The bulk of the programming is done luckily, but I won't rush it if it's not done.

pwat
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Post by pwat » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:57 am

Another golfer says THANKS. This game is addicting. My only complaint is occasionally out of the rough, the ball goes about a foot, even with a 3/4 swing for 40 yards.....some of this may be loft, but there is no real way to tell how much loft to use. A little unfair.
Also as stated by a few others, some greens are unputtable. The 12th at Augusta Lane is too hard. Of course, if you have 12 mulligans and know how to cheat.
Otherwise, a great fun game. I cannot wait for the update. :o

mf ben
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Post by mf ben » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:25 am

I wanted to add another suggestion regarding the way the wind works. It seems to reset somewhat randomly with each shot, rather than going in a constant direction on each hole (i.e, on a dogleg left, the wind might be into you on both shots, rather than into you on the tee shot and coming from the right on your second.) There is also a problem if you resume y our game; the arrow usually disappears so you can see a wind speed but no direction.

It would add another element to the game to be able to place your tee shots according to how the wind is going to affect your approach (like in real life), rather than having the wind just shift to whichever direction and speed with each shot.

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:04 am

I just hit around 20 balls, and the wind stayed within 90 degrees and within ±4mph every shot, this is by design. This was a feature added to the mac version a year or two ago, and it seems like its still working on the iPhone version. I did a save/resume and the arrow still stayed for me, has anyone else noticed these problems, if so I'll do some more research and see if I can figure it out.

schplurg
Nuclear Nova Member

Post by schplurg » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:18 pm

I like the update. The vertical yardage is helpful and the greens look MUCH nicer/smoother!

I just got a 57 on Old Andrews and my score did not post online. Bummer :( I did not quit the app during the game...played straight through. Actually, there are no best rounds posted yet for any course that I can see.

I noticed my old high scores are still saved locally on my iPhone. Should I reinstall the game to make it post online maybe?

Haven't tried the new course yet. I don't see any mention of this update on your app store page...I downloaded it from my phone when i saw it in the update list.

Thanks for the update. i hope the online scores begin to work (or am I missing something?).

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:31 pm

I was able to find your score and salvage it, there was a small glitch with the score reset but everything is working now and it looks like there are 20+ scores submitted already.

Reinstalling won't help, the scores that are local will stay local and won't be able to be submitted again, sorry.

It normally takes a day or so for the app to fully update on iTunes. I was able to download 1.03, but like your computer iTunes still shows version 1.02 in the App store.

schplurg
Nuclear Nova Member

Post by schplurg » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:59 pm

Cool I see my score now! We'll see how long that lasts though. I don't mind keeping my old local scores, and I wasn't worried about submitting them...quite the contrary actually. Wanted to start from a clean slate. I could always delete the app from my phone and PC and reinstall. Time to try the new course now :)

Any word on the 22 course version? When and how much? Will we get a price break or not? The latter may not keep me from buying the game, just curious.

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:13 pm

schplurg wrote:Cool I see my score now! We'll see how long that lasts though. I don't mind keeping my old local scores, and I wasn't worried about submitting them...quite the contrary actually. Wanted to start from a clean slate. I could always delete the app from my phone and PC and reinstall. Time to try the new course now :)

Any word on the 22 course version? When and how much? Will we get a price break or not? The latter may not keep me from buying the game, just curious.

No word on the 22 course version yet, I have ten courses fully finished and tested and the other 12 are getting close. I'm not sure about the price break yet, I'll make a post when I figure everything out and submit it to iTunes.

theishkid
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Not Fair

Post by theishkid » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:18 pm

Can I just say that I find this extremely unfair... I update my GL Golf tonight and read in the description that a deluxe version was coming out. I mean... that's what I thought I bought to begin with! I expected my $8 game to be updated periodically and new courses added. I'm just really disappointed. I just think this could have been handled a little better... like the standard version that has already been out be given the first 11 courses, then you could have made a part two with the other 11 courses. I just feel really cheated now and I feel like this is not going to be good for gl golf and the people who have already purchased the app. I highly doubht too many people are going to want to plump down another 8 - 10 bucks or whatever the price may be... especially when you've got tiger woods coming out soon.

I'm sorry to anyone who thinks i'm being ridiculous. I know some of you will might think that because that's exactly what I think when I read comments like this in the app store. But now I finally know what it feels like to feel like you are being ripped off.

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:00 pm

I'm sorry you feel cheated, that was not my intent at all. I wish I could offer some way for existing users to upgrade to the deluxe version for a few bucks, but the iTunes store doesn't support that. Hopefully 6 courses will keep you occupied for a while, I eventually will probably add more courses to both versions at some point. I still plan on adding new features to the game for everyone with the free 1.0x updates like I've been doing already.

theishkid
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Post by theishkid » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:06 pm

Well one way you could do it is to update the version that is out right now to have the 22 courses... that way people who have already purchased it don't feel cheated. Then you could raise the price of that version (or do whatever you intend on doing with it).
Then you could create a new "standard version" that would be cheaper and only have a few courses for those that just want a little taste of the game.