[Mac] GL Golf Beta Program

GL Golf Feedback for the Mac and iPhone
AndrewD
Nuclear Nova Legend
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: GL Golf Beta Program

Post by AndrewD » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:49 am

I like the 60ft putter, but I play in pro mode (therefore no auto club) and I keep selecting the hard putter by accident. This is costing me several shots a round as the ball pings over the hole! I guess I will get used to it, but could you consider a visual difference to make me realise when I'm on the wrong putter? Maybe different colour gridlines on the green or a difference in the power bar?

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:01 am

AndrewD wrote:I like the 60ft putter, but I play in pro mode (therefore no auto club) and I keep selecting the hard putter by accident. This is costing me several shots a round as the ball pings over the hole! I guess I will get used to it, but could you consider a visual difference to make me realise when I'm on the wrong putter? Maybe different colour gridlines on the green or a difference in the power bar?
Great idea, this should be easy for the next version. Until then try to look for the slight size difference in the two putters, it's a small difference but it's there.
Nuclear Nova Software - Games and Apps for the Mac, iPhone, iPad, and iPod
GL Golf - Pinball Massacre - Barnyard Blaster - Rocket Golf - Liquid Defense - Hydrothermal

AndrewD
Nuclear Nova Legend
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by AndrewD » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:35 am

Sorry for multiple posts today, but I played around with the replay a bit. Now you've added pitchmarks, the previous one shows up on replay. It really looks like the new pitchmark is in a different place (especially on very long shots 200yds plus, proving that the replay's still not perfect) but it's not possible to go back and look at both together - only one remains. Would this help in diagnosing the long-standing replay issue?

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:17 pm

No problem with the multiple posts! I'll take a look at the pitch marks, if they are landing in different spots that may help me figure out what's going on with the replay issue
GL Golf - Pinball Massacre - Barnyard Blaster - Rocket Golf - Liquid Defense - Hydrothermal

Barry
Nuclear Nova Newbie

ver 2.19 feedback

Post by Barry » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:43 am

Hi Jake,
I downloaded .19 a day or two after you posted it and I've been averaging a game a day (I would guess.) Really like the new heavy putter, its perfect. The new water looks good; did you add some sparkle to the sky or something? It looks different, sometimes. Better. Dig the tournament mode, too. I plan on getting my hat handed to me but it looks like fun.

how does the 3 tap system work? I can't figure it out.

otherwise, its been working fine; haven't had any problems save for that weird background thing, but I think that was an anomoly due to the angle the view and I can't duplicate it. I really tried, too.

Any chance there will be a new course to go with the new release? Not that I've conquered Torrey Pines yet, but I can hope.

-Barry

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:00 am

Nothing new with the water this version, but I'm glad it looks better :)! To eneable the three tap system you have to go to the Preferences menu and enable it. No new courses for 2.19 (coming out around 12/15/08), but there will definitely be one for the 2.20 update around 1/30/09 (I've switched from updating every month to every month and a half now, still 4 courses a year though).

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:17 am

Beta 2.20 is up with a new course for subscription owners at http://nuclearnova.com/fullglgolfbeta.zip . Please post any incompatibilities, major problems, or comments on new features here. If you test it please let me know what processor and version of Mac OS X you're using, I made some changes specific to 64 bit intel processors that need further testing.

Added a new 18 hole course, Grand Lake, for subscription pack owners
New club handle textures to differentiate various wedges and putters
The tournament screen now lists the next two tournament dates
Several new graphic preferences changes now take effect without restarting the game
Added a 64-bit Intel executable
Added option to adjust sound effects and music volumes (requires Intel mac and Mac OS 10.5+)
Pitch marks are no longer added over again on replays
Informs users on the final score card if the best rounds won't submit for various reasons
Three other small improvements

AndrewD
Nuclear Nova Legend

Post by AndrewD » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:19 pm

Hi Jake, I'm using an Intel iMac 7.1 (2.40GHz Core2Duo)

Played a quick round of Beauregard, everything checks out including the music and fx volumes.

One thing, and it might not be a bug... I am confused because Grand Lake tells me I need to buy a subscription pack to play, but I thought there was a course or two to go before I needed to? Mainly due to Snowflake Ridge being a 9-hole course and therefore not included in the Combi Pack I bought back in September 06.

The About screen in 2.19 says "Thanks for registering the GLGolf Combo pack. There are currently 21 courses and you can play all of them up until number 22 is released." It also has a greyed out button "add 19 NEW 18-hole course to GLGOLF $12.95"

The About screen in 2.20 says "Thanks for registering the GLGolf Combo pack. There are currently 22 courses and you can play all of them up until number 22 is released." It also has a greyed out button "add 20 NEW 18-hole course to GLGOLF $12.95"

Is one of these right and one wrong, or do you get better value for buying 2.20 than buying 2.19? :wink:

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:37 pm

Hi Andrew, I'm glad the volumes are working for you.

What date did you purchase the subscription pack, I can look up the key you bought and figure out what courses it was good for. Snowflake Ridge was free to everyone and doesn't count against the four courses.

It looks like I forgot to count snowflake ridge in the About screen. 2.20 should say "Thanks for registering the GLGolf Combo pack. There are currently 23 courses and you can play all of them up to (but not including) number 23." I'll have that fixed for the final release of the beta.

You do get a better value for buying 2.20 because there are more courses available in the expansion pack. When the expansion pack first came out years ago it was $10 for 6 new courses, now its $13 for 20 new courses!

AndrewD
Nuclear Nova Legend

Post by AndrewD » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:26 am

Thanks Jake. Grand Lake is a huge challenge - glad to have the practice time before the next tournament! That feature to inform about upcoming tournaments works well by the way. I might have put the text in red though, it doesn't jump out at present.

I have noticed another small bug - if you select Torrey Pines South or Grand Lake, then Preview, the yardages and Par figures are not shown. This was also the case in 2.19 - guess no one spotted it.

Only other minor problem so far is on Hole 13, Grand Lake. I decided to try a different line, so hit a driver towards the second tree on the far right, before the water. I got it wrong, the ball landed in the water. But the selected drop zone was about 500 yards further to the right, it took 2 driver shots just to get back to the tree! I can replicate this in practice mode, let me know if you need more details.

Something I really like about 2.20 is the different colours on the club handles to indicate hard, soft, sand wedge etc - thanks for implementing this, it's much better than my suggestion! The colour is usually in the eyeline to the hole, which really helps avoid club selection mistakes.

Keep up the good work.

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:10 pm

It should be a challenging tournament, I need to get some practice in too before I start my 4 rounds.

Thanks for the preview par bug, I just fixed that right now for the final release.

Checking out hole 13 when I get done with lab, that sounds like an interesting bug that needs squashed!

I'm glad you like the colors on the club, that should prevent thousands of accidental shots with the wrong club (I've done it several times before and had to waste my mulligan (if I had one left)).

Thanks again

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:20 am

Bugs fixed along with a few other problems, planned release date as of now is the 30th around noon. Thanks for the help!

RichardIII
Nuclear Nova Legend

Post by RichardIII » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:47 pm

Jake: will all of us 'owners' of the game be able to get the latest version at no cost?

Thanks,
Rich 8)

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:49 pm

The new course requires the subscription pack to play. The subscription is $9.95 and allows you to play all 4 new courses released in the next year, at a rate of one every three months. If you don't get the subscription pack you are still welcome to download any updates that are sent out, but the new courses will not be available.

cal411
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Post by cal411 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:48 am

Thanks, Jake, for the updates. I don't get much time lately to play, but I also appreciate the upcoming dates for tournaments notice. Not only does it allow me to practice the specific course for the games, but also lets me get an idea if I want to publicly embarrass myself or not. :oops: At any rate, I love this game and appreciate all of your work on it! Thanks!

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:50 am

You're welcome! I expect some very high scores for the tournament on this difficult course, so I wouldn't worry about embarrassing yourself on the internet. Good luck tomorrow or whenever you start your first round!

cal411
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Post by cal411 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:31 pm

I attempted to start the tournament today (Saturday) but the tournament screen tells me I have to wait one day to continue the tournament. I haven't started the tournament yet. Is there a fix for this? Thanks.

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:50 pm

I'd try to wait the day and see what happens, hopefully that's all you need to do to continue. The tournament is designed so you have to wait a day in between each round, just like the tournaments in the PGA

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:34 pm

Beta 2.22 is up with a new course for subscription owners at http://nuclearnova.com/fullglgolfbeta.zip . Please post any incompatibilities, major problems, or comments on new features here. A quick note, several edges on the new course have problems where the ball/club floats/sinks over the ground. This will be fixed for version 2.23, so no need to report individual problems.

Added a new 18 hole course, Badger Pass, for subscription pack owners
Mulligans can now be taken while the ball is still in the air
Perfect/poor shot power now show a visual confirmation in addition to the high/low beep noises
Fixed a bug where GL Golf would close after submitting a score
Each new shot retains the previous shots direction/spin/trajectory on the driving range
The computers now shoot a more obtainable score
Improved/Fixed four individual holes
Fixed three bugs relating to the online tournaments
Added the option to turn off the computer golfers
Added the current version number to the main menu
Two other minor improvements

Sam Ples
Nuclear Nova Member

2.22 Badger Pass

Post by Sam Ples » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:13 pm

Jake,

I encountered the following in the new course in 2.22
Flyovers for holes 2 and 13 went through the hills rather than over them.
In the right rough on 13 and ball and club are both inside the hill

Confirming that the game does not quit after submitting the score.

Thanks

Vince