2.36 seems to disable other programs

GL Golf Feedback for the Mac and iPhone
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
grrbear
Nuclear Nova Newbie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

2.36 seems to disable other programs

Post by grrbear » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:32 pm

running on 10.5.8 on an early 2008 mac pro: since installing 2.36, if I launch it, it seems to have a bad effect on some other programs - not sure how this is possible, but it's reproducible on my machine. For example, Illustrator 5's keyboard commands become disabled. I have to reboot the mac to restore them.

And this is strictly anecdotal, but the same machine fried a couple weeks ago while playing GL - I had to replace both the main logic board and the video card. Likely a coincidence, except that a few days prior, the screen had blacked out - while playing GL - but a reboot restored it. Could be two coincidences, or that GL puts more stress on the video card and pushed mine, which may have been ready to crack anyway, over the edge. Or GL is actually bad for macs? ($500 in repair bills!)

Jake
Site Admin

Re: 2.36 seems to disable other programs

Post by Jake » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:52 am

I haven't tested GL Golf on 10.5.8 in a while, but often times some of the new stuff causes incompatibilities with older operating systems. Still seams strange about illustrator.

I have a feeling that GL Golf took your video card/logic board/cpu to to edge, as the game will definitely heat everything up. There is definitely no legit way for GL Golf to do damage to a system just by my programming, so I bet it just pushed your system past the edge. Sorry to hear about the repair bills!
Nuclear Nova Software - Games and Apps for the Mac, iPhone, iPad, and iPod
GL Golf - Pinball Massacre - Barnyard Blaster - Rocket Golf - Liquid Defense - Hydrothermal

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable