GL Golf Suggestions [Mac/iOS Merged]

GL Golf Feedback for the Mac and iPhone
Jake
Site Admin

GL Golf Suggestions [Mac/iOS Merged]

Post by Jake » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:24 pm

Post any suggestions you have for GL Golf. I like to update the game every three months and most of the improvements originate from your ideas.

Mac and iPhone threads merged 4/28/11
Nuclear Nova Software - Games and Apps for the Mac, iPhone, iPad, and iPod
GL Golf - Pinball Massacre - Barnyard Blaster - Rocket Golf - Liquid Defense - Hydrothermal

StlCrtn
Nuclear Nova Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Preferences

Post by StlCrtn » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:47 pm

You recently added water reflection as a preference. However, once selected it does not remember that preference each time GL Golf is launched. Is there a way either now or in future releases to make water reflection automatic?

Also, how about adding more dramatic weather effects in future courses, ie; rain, fog, etc.
Live Hard, Die Young... Leave a Good Looking Corpse!!!

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:53 pm

I'll make the next version remember the water reflection preference, I wasn't aware that it isn't remembered right now!

I'm looking into more weather effects, especially rain, I've had them on my list for a while and haven't had a chance to program them yet.
GL Golf - Pinball Massacre - Barnyard Blaster - Rocket Golf - Liquid Defense - Hydrothermal

bga
Nuclear Nova Newbie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Auto face flag and gradients

Post by bga » Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:51 am

After a shot is played the (the non expert) user ends facing away from the flag, and has to turn slowly to face it. It would be nice to have an option / single key press to face the flag/hole.

It would be helpful to know the gradient of the land, in both the small and the play view. This will help plan shots, esp for holes where is flag is out of sight.

Overall, GLGolf has had contant improvements, and I am very glad I bought it :)
--
We will find a way, or we will make one -- Hannibal

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:32 pm

I like your idea about automatically aiming, I'm just afraid of making the game aim too much for the user. What if when the player is looking more than 90 degrees away from the flag after the ball stops it automatically aims towards the hole (but not perfect, that way the golfer has to fine tune the shot)?

I like the idea about the gradient, I'm going to try to find a way to make the mini map show how high things are.

My list of things to add to GL Golf is getting big now! Thats good because there are lots of improvements coming, but also bad because its hard to prioritize and get the good stuff out fast.

bga
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Post by bga » Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:41 pm

One way to do this would be to provide a look-toward flag (maybe a single keypress, say L) that could work like this :

if the player is facing more than 30deg away on either side of the flag (a total 60deg spread), on pressing L, the player looks at a random point within the 60 deg spread. That way there is no "autoaim" and the player has to fine tune the shot.

This will take the tedium out of alignment and let us focus on gameplay :)

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:54 pm

That sounds like a good solution, and I think I can squeeze it into the next release thats coming out this week probably (I just finished the driving range today along with some other goodies, so now I'm ready to add several smaller things for this update to go along with the driving range).

Hopefully people will use it, I'm always afraid that lots of people are missing out on all of the features because they don't know what the keys do!

bga
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Post by bga » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:26 am

>Hopefully people will use it, I'm always afraid that lots of people are missing out on all of the features because they don't know what the keys do!

Then, maybe it is time to add a page to the website explaining the various keys, and maybe add that html page to the download as well. Don't get me wrong, the starting dialog is useful and all, but there is only so much information you can cram into that.

rksinc57
Nuclear Nova Member

Here are my suggestions after playing for an hour

Post by rksinc57 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:26 pm

1. Add a keystrok that lets me flyover again for another look
2. Add more hook, slice, spin by hitting keys multiple times during flight
3. Any other landscape items besides pine trees? Some of these courses do not have pine trees!

Monkaton
Nuclear Nova Member

Re: Here are my suggestions after playing for an hour

Post by Monkaton » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:39 pm

1. Add a keystrok that lets me flyover again for another look
3. Any other landscape items besides pine trees? Some of these courses do not have pine trees!
I agree different vegetation would be cool.

Jake
Site Admin

Re: Here are my suggestions after playing for an hour

Post by Jake » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:23 pm

rksinc57 wrote:1. Add a keystrok that lets me flyover again for another look
1. Right now C brings you the final flyby screen, would you like the v key to go through the animation again?
2. Several version ago you could actually change the spin in the air, but I thought that made it too easy and the player should have to decide all of that before they started their swing.
3. Thats been on the list for a while, and I'm going to change the priority to 5 out of 5 because I agree that the trees are in need of some work.

rksinc57
Nuclear Nova Member

Suggested Changes

Post by rksinc57 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:03 pm

1. The V key would be fine. Yes, I would like to see the animation again, because it gives me a sense of distance and which club to use. There is no way to check distances, so a flyby animation availability at any time while playing the hole would be great.
2. I don't care if it actually spins more while in the air, but maybe G key could give extra slice right and A key could give extra hook left. Maybe E key could give extra spin to virtually cause a spin back when landing on a green.

Thanks for you reply. I am having fun with the game.

rksinc57
Nuclear Nova Member

I love this game! I have more suggestions.

Post by rksinc57 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:19 pm

I notice that many times my aim is clear of the trees, and the ball as it flies should easily miss the trees, but it hits the trees anyway. There appear to be phantom branches. I know it would be a chore, but a suggestion for the future would be to have varied trees where the branch locations are actually shown.

Another suggestion is for the ability to hit a high shot to get over trees. When I golf in real life, I am able many times to take my pitching wedge or 9 iron and get a lot of loft. Of course if you hit even a driver low on the ball it will get a lot of loft. Perhaps a keystroke that lets you hit a high one.

Also, I notice that when I select the S key to get backspin, that my yardage drops considerably. I have adjusted by selecting a longer club when I am trying to control roll. Is there a certain percentage of yardage loss that you have dialed in when the S key is selected?

How about cart paths where the ball gets extra bounce when it strikes it.

This game is a bargain. If you were to incorporate just a few good upgrades I would be willing to pay 25 bucks all over again. Thank you so much for some low-key entertainment.

Jake
Site Admin

Re: I love this game! I have more suggestions.

Post by Jake » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:23 pm

I notice that many times my aim is clear of the trees, and the ball as it flies should easily miss the trees, but it hits the trees anyway. There appear to be phantom branches. I know it would be a chore, but a suggestion for the future would be to have varied trees where the branch locations are actually shown.

Another suggestion is for the ability to hit a high shot to get over trees. When I golf in real life, I am able many times to take my pitching wedge or 9 iron and get a lot of loft. Of course if you hit even a driver low on the ball it will get a lot of loft. Perhaps a keystroke that lets you hit a high one.

Also, I notice that when I select the S key to get backspin, that my yardage drops considerably. I have adjusted by selecting a longer club when I am trying to control roll. Is there a certain percentage of yardage loss that you have dialed in when the S key is selected?

How about cart paths where the ball gets extra bounce when it strikes it.

This game is a bargain. If you were to incorporate just a few good upgrades I would be willing to pay 25 bucks all over again. Thank you so much for some low-key entertainment.
The tree collision code was written back when I was 15 and didn't really know what I was doing, so I agree that it is less than perfect. New trees are up high on my list of things to do, and if there are new ones sometime soon there will probably also be better collision detection. I did write some 100% accurate collision detection code for another project that I never released, so I have some ideas.

Thats a good idea about a loft shot, maybe I can make it a bit more accurate than my loft shot in real life (I don't know how many times I've tried to take a shortcut while golfing just to end up stuck under a tree :))

They yard loss for using backspin is acting as intended. The distance listed for each club assumes that the ball will bounce and roll like normal, so when you add backspin you will have to compensate by choosing a longer club, or more power.

I like the idea about the cart marks, I'll add it to the list but I can't promise you'll see it soon because it would be difficult to add into the game compared to some of the other improvements.

Thanks for the feedback :)

rksinc57
Nuclear Nova Member

New Suggestion to correct error re: high winds around green

Post by rksinc57 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:31 pm

I notice that when I play Pro level, where the winds are high, that you have the wind fully affecting the movement of the ball when you are simply chipping or putting around the green. This really makes no sense, since in the real world winds don't affect short chips or putts much at all. I think the wind effects should be toned down greatly when you are on the green.

Jake
Site Admin

Re: New Suggestion to correct error re: high winds around gr

Post by Jake » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:34 pm

rksinc57 wrote:I notice that when I play Pro level, where the winds are high, that you have the wind fully affecting the movement of the ball when you are simply chipping or putting around the green. This really makes no sense, since in the real world winds don't affect short chips or putts much at all. I think the wind effects should be toned down greatly when you are on the green.
Good point, I do notice that wind and curve have to much of an effect on short range shots. I'll add it to my list

Trey_IIV
Nuclear Nova Member

Water drops

Post by Trey_IIV » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:42 am

In golf, after a ball lands in water, there is usually a designated drop area around the water from which the golfer plays. It seems whenever I go into water in any of the courses however, if there is sand on the bank, I end up in the sand with a very difficult drop to make. Otherwise, I'm in rough. But in general, I believe that after a water shot and one stroke penalty, the least that could happen is the ball be placed on nice fairway grass.

Jake
Site Admin

Re: Water drops

Post by Jake » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:17 am

Thats a good idea, and I agree with you. I'll add that to my list of things to do. I'm not sure when I'll get to it because it will be harder to add than some of the other features, but I have had a few requests from it.

To answer your other question that I removed... I'm not 100% sure and I'm not going to worry about it until I get some sort of letter in the mail :D .

Trey_IIV
Nuclear Nova Member

good call

Post by Trey_IIV » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:32 am

good call, i like playing the course mentioned in my deleted message :D

gnudlh
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Preference for Multiple Mulligans

Post by gnudlh » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:54 am

Perhaps add a preference that allows the player to define how many mulligans are allowed on a round, for those interested in getting 'the best shot' which isnt necessarily realistic, but can be fun to see what you can do on a tough shot.

This would probably have to be an addition to the high score list then so that multiple mulligans didnt allow folks to come up with a low score when someone else got a score and didnt use any.