GL Golf Suggestions [Mac/iOS Merged]

GL Golf Feedback for the Mac and iPhone
Jake
Site Admin

Re: *** GL Golf for the iPhone Suggestions ***

Post by Jake » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:05 am

Sure, I know some of the greens are in need of work. I probably won't have time to get to them until Thanksgiving (busy with school), but they will eventually get reworked.
Nuclear Nova Software - Games and Apps for the Mac, iPhone, iPad, and iPod
GL Golf - Pinball Massacre - Barnyard Blaster - Rocket Golf - Liquid Defense - Hydrothermal

sooner2k1
Nuclear Nova Newbie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by sooner2k1 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:14 am

Hello,

Do you have any plans of implementing a "3 Click" swing? One of my favorite things about computer golf games is the difficulty that arrises from inacurate swings. I left a 3 star review on Itunes, but ONLY because I think this game is great, but would be 100% better if you added a 3 click swing. I personally would pay another $9.99 if you added this. Once this is added, your game adds another level of difficulty, and is definately on par or better than any golf game or sports game for the Iphone.

I'm not sure if you've ever had the 3 click swing in any version of GL Golf, or if your programming/coding allows for it, but I think that alone would keep people coming back again and again to play the game (nothing is replicated, always a chance for something to mess up).

If you coud just let me know if you're capable of adding this type of swing/dynamics, or if you plan to do so I would really appreciate it. I keep checking the application updates every single day just hoping to see an update from GL Golf. Thanks!

sooner2k1

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:27 am

I've contemplated the idea several times, but in the end I always decided against it to keep the game nice and simple. I will however consider adding the option for golfers like you who want the extra difficulty. I normally get to most suggestions, but this might take a while to get to.

Thanks
GL Golf - Pinball Massacre - Barnyard Blaster - Rocket Golf - Liquid Defense - Hydrothermal

baseballmartz8
Nuclear Nova Newbie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by baseballmartz8 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:32 pm

Hi, I recently downloaded your lite version of Gl Golf and loved it. I would buy the full version in heartbeat but the price is holding me back.(I know that it's only $8 but still, think of all the other apps you could buy with $8) Do you have any plans to have a sale or price drop anytime soon. Another good thing about this is that if you have a price drop or sale you might get in the top 100 apps downloaded page which causes many other people to notice the app causing more people to buy it. So basically a possible increase in sales if you lower the price.

A couple ideas for next update:
Make a longest putt made or longest drive. Or even a course record. Sort of what they do in GoldenTee.

Connor

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:33 pm

I'm glad you're enjoying the Lite version! Right now I don't have any plans to lower the price, I know the competition is driving down prices but I really feel GL Golf is worth $8. I may offer a sale for a few days as a promotion, but I don't have any definite dates yet. I can promise that I'll be adding new courses to increase the value of the game.

Thanks for the longest putt/drive suggestion. The next version will have a best rounds list, and hopefully I'll be able to get that longest putt/drive added in at some point.

baseballmartz8
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Post by baseballmartz8 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:51 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. Because you said there will be no price drop I decided to purchase the full version. I like it a lot but can sometimes be very challenging. (I like the challenge though) A few improvements that could be made would be to make the greens a little flatter for putting. It is very hard to put especially on some greens where it takes 3-4 putts to make it in. A very cool addition would be a wi-fi challenge type thing. You could play another person on the same network on you or against someone across the country. Another idea is a challenges page where you had to complete challenges of making certain shots. For example, a 20 yard putt, or a closest to the pin thing where you have to get it within 10 yards of the hole or something like that. I would also like the idea of being able to load saved games instead of playing where you left off last. if you wanted to start a new game on a new course but still want to save the old game you could just save it on a certain saved games page. Thanks for the great game and I can't wait for the next update!

P.S about when will the next update arrive

Connor

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:22 pm

Thanks for your support, I hope you keep enjoying the full version!

Thanks for those suggestions too, I've noted all of them. Some of them are pretty big features to add so I'm not sure when I'll get to them, hopefully I'll have time this winter. As for the first update, I'm guessing right around Thanksgiving because I have a two week break from class in November. My main goals are to work on the swing input system, rework the graphics so they run smooth on every hole, and then add one new course. Hopefully I'll get those three things done and a little more.

Alfredo
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Post by Alfredo » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:00 am

Nice game. It is worth the price :)
Seems that some of my suggestions have already been made ; must be improved : 1. too many unplayable greens, 2. some unrealistic courses (way too much water), 3. keeping track of longest put / drive and of best scores.
May I add two suggestions : 1. being able to just view the score card at any time would be nice 2. cutting off specificaly the applause sound (while being able to keep the other sounds). I get too many applause, you see ? :))
Give it a thought, thx

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:30 pm

I'm glad you are enjoying GL Golf!

1. This is in the Mac version, but I haven't had a chance to reprogram it for the iPhone, I'll add it to my list.
2. This is also available on the mac version along with 20 other preferences, hopefully I'll be able to make a full preference screen at some point.

Thanks for the suggestions

David Hillman
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Re: *** GL Golf Suggestions ***

Post by David Hillman » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:23 pm

I am not a long time player, but I searched this forum and found nothing on this topic, so here goes;

How about more realistic club, particularly wedge, choices? I have a couple bags of clubs in my garage, and have looked for a "Hard Pitching Wedge" or a "Soft Pitching Wedge" with no success. I don't understand why wedges are listed this way, especially since the half the action of the game is determining how hard to hit the ball. Also, the maximum distance on the sand wedge appears to be about 30 yards, which is no more than half to one-third of the distance most players hit a sand wedge.

Also, the 10-club limit on Pro Mode doesn't really make any sense, to me. If anything, it'd make more sense to limit the clubs in Normal mode, since you have other 'help'. I always play in Pro mode, though, so maybe I'm missing something.

Other than that, and some silliness on a few greens, I think the game is great.

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:43 pm

I use to have only one pitching wedge, but users complained about using it for short chips. Since it goes 120 yards, hitting a 25 yard shot was kind of tricky. By breaking the pitching wedge into two clubs it's now much easier to hit a wider variety of distances.

As for the sand wedge, I could probably do the same thing but I figured if someone wanted to go more than 30 yards they would just use a pitching wedge with some loft.

I'm glad you like the Pro mode, it's very challenging! The 10 club limit is just another method to make the game more difficult for "professional GL Golfers"

David Hillman
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Post by David Hillman » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:43 pm

Jake wrote:I use to have only one pitching wedge, but users complained about using it for short chips. Since it goes 120 yards, hitting a 25 yard shot was kind of tricky. By breaking the pitching wedge into two clubs it's now much easier to hit a wider variety of distances.
I guess that explains it. I use the regular pitching wedge for everything, just on principle, and it works fine for me. In my opinion anyway, Pro mode, at least, should have selections that are 1:1 with the clubs in your bag, and none of this "making it easier" crap ;)

I would love see Pro mode offer, say, a choice of wedges by loft, since that's how real clubs work. Personally, I play two wedges, 49 and 54 degrees, but you can buy anything from 45 to 64 degrees, and some people ( eg Phil Mickelson ) actually carry as many as four. It'd be straightforward to make a calculation of maximum distance based on loft ( something like 100y * (50/loft) would be about right ) and just let the user select from among ( 45,47,49,51,52,53,54,55,56,57,58,60 ) which are the commonly-available choices. That'd be sweet.
As for the sand wedge, I could probably do the same thing but I figured if someone wanted to go more than 30 yards they would just use a pitching wedge with some loft.
I don't even use the sand wedge in the sand, so I've stopped bagging it. To me, it's useless.
I'm glad you like the Pro mode, it's very challenging! The 10 club limit is just another method to make the game more difficult for "professional GL Golfers"
I played Normal about four times before it got boring. Pro mode is worth the time though, and I would've thought everyone plays it. Although if I had to play greens this solid in real life, I'd probably give up the game.

Speaking of pro mode, it would also be great if the scores list showed course and mode, in addition to date, score, and relation to par.

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:41 pm

I do like the idea of choosing the slope of the club, I'll add that to my too do list.

Adding the course and difficulty to the score screen should be easy, I'll do that for 2.19.

Thanks

David Hillman
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Post by David Hillman » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:07 pm

Outstanding. Be careful with the club-choosing though, that could be a black hole that'll suck up all your development time. I was hesitant to suggest it until I saw you add "night mode", and I figured you were looking for things to do ;) Real-life golfers spend an unbelievable amount of time and energy choosing clubs. I'm just getting into club-building myself, and the array of options is astounding.

Other ideas while I'm here, for what they are worth;

* Using the "loft/punch" adjustment should change the direction of the shot, but doesn't. Adding loft should make the ball go right, and punching should go left.

* Sometimes hitting the ball into the water earns a penalty, and sometimes not. The distinction is unclear to me, but I would expect that everytime I hear a splash, I should get a penalty. Also, the drop area suggestion made previously is a great one, or at least, a drop back away from the water's edge.

* More "real" courses would be awesome. I play [removed], Augusta, and St Andrews almost exclusively, because the rest are too gimmicky.

* A stronger putter. On the English courses, St Andrews and Morrowsfield at least, some of the greens are so big that even a full-strength putt barely covers three-quarters of the distance to the pin, if you are unlucky to be all the way on the other side. Even on some other courses, an uphill putt hit at full-strength comes up short. That shouldn't happen.

* An opportunity to make the game more realistic, and harder, would be to have sloping lies effect shot direction. As far as I can tell, they don't. With the ball below your feet, the shot should fade, and with the ball higher than your feet, it should draw. Same thing with uphill/downhill; uphill goes higher and shorter, downhill goes lower and shorter.

Thanks.

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:28 pm

I wasn't aware of that problem with loft/punch shots, I'll have to consider adding that to the game. Same thing with the uphill/downhill and sloping lies.

I've never had a ball hit the water and not cause a penalty stroke, if you can find a way for me to recreate the bug I can fix it. I would eventually like the ball drop to be better, sometimes you end up hitting the ball out of the water.

You'll like the new course coming out real soon, it has Torrey Pines South

I agree with the putter, I'll see what I can do

David Hillman
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Post by David Hillman » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:58 pm

I will try and pay more attention next time the water-no-penalty issue comes up. I know it happens on at least one hole at Augusta; one of the par 5s, in fact, because I have made birdie from the water, without holing out the pitch. In other words; drive, second shot into water, pitch onto green, and 1 putt for birdie. That should be a par, obviously.

The changing direction with loft change is a geometry problem. If you "open up" the clubface to add loft, it also turns the toe of the club further from the target. The ball will always travel perpendicular to the clubface, and so it has to go to the right. Here's the best illustration I was able to find in a few minutes' search...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_U9A7iapck

With uphill and downhill lies, the loft of the club is effectively increased or reduced, because you have to swing along with the slope of the ground, or you will bury the clubface into the hill.

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:58 pm

Thanks for the youtube video, maybe thats one of the reasons I can't consistently hit the ball strait with my wedge. I know what you mean about burying the clubface into a hill, I did that this past weekend :?

David Hillman
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Post by David Hillman » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:24 am

One other minor annoyance I just remembered. Often, after finishing a round in Pro, when you get back to the main menu, the game has forgotten your selected clubs. If you attempt to start another round, you get the "Can only select 10" error.

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:57 pm

Thanks, that should be an easy fix for the next version since the clubs are stored in the preferences file.

nate94gt
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Post by nate94gt » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:49 pm

Great game, so far my suggestions have been noted, mainly the score keeping and greens. You mentioned you were going to rework the swing system, which is where my suggestion lies. It seems that a 50% swing is not exactly 50% of the total club distance. Example:
the PW can do a 40 yard shot. If im 20 yards away from the pin, I would want to hit it at 50%, however the 50% is typically only a duff shot and the ball doesnt travel near 20 yards, more like 1. Thats similar for other clubs too. if im 100 yards out and i select the 120 yard PW, a swing at the 3/4 bar will not get the ball to the hole.
As you said you were going to rework the swing mechanics, so that may be changed then.
Either way, its a great game, thanks!