GL Golf Suggestions [Mac/iOS Merged]

GL Golf Feedback for the Mac and iPhone
David Hillman
Nuclear Nova Newbie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: *** GL Golf Suggestions ***

Post by David Hillman » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:26 pm

I've been keeping some notes each time I play, but haven't been able to replicate the ball-in-water-no-penalty situation yet ( I don't usually aim for the water :) ). Here are some other suggestions, though;

* Reduce hook/draw/spin from rough. It doesn't appear that hitting from the rough causes a reduction in the player's ability to spin the ball, but it should. Also, a cool feature would be to add a random variable to the shot length when hitting from the rough. This is basically how it works in real life, because you are never sure just exactly how the ball is going to come out of the long grass. Say, +/- 10%.

* Remove limit on woods from sand. Again, I haven't tested this a lot, but it appears that you cannot hit woods from fairway traps. I often hit 3W from a good lie in the sand in real life, so I don't know why this is prohibited in the game.

* Sharp boundries to sand. Most bunkers in the game blend into the surrounding grass, even greenside traps. In real life, that rarely happens, they usually look more like this;

They also often have lips, which seem absent from the game. It would give the game a much more realistic look if you could render that.

* Regarding my previous suggestion about a stronger putter, at least three greens at Augusta have that issue. Front green on Augusta #4, 100% putter only gets half-way to hole. #6 as well. Left side of #17. It really spoils a round to hit the green from the tee, and three putt just because you couldn't hit the ball hard enough.

Thanks, and good job.

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:43 pm

Good idea about hitting from the rough, I can add that! I'll consider adding woods to the sand, I'm just use to some old school golf games where I wasn't allowed to use a wood. With the current graphics engine I won't be able to get nice steep transitions with the sand, but my course maker has requested this features so hopefully someday I can add it. The long distance putter should definitely be in version 2.19.

Thanks for the post!
Nuclear Nova Software - Games and Apps for the Mac, iPhone, iPad, and iPod
GL Golf - Pinball Massacre - Barnyard Blaster - Rocket Golf - Liquid Defense - Hydrothermal

schplurg
Nuclear Nova Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: *** GL Golf for the iPhone Suggestions ***

Post by schplurg » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:15 am

Hi. I just downloaded the full version...can't wait to try it. My suggestions have already been mentioned...but...

I also would like a 3-click swing.

Course records. Other stats maybe.

Perhaps a CPU "golfer"...even if it's not an actual golfer, but instead just an artificially made leader board or random score (according to difficulty level).

Online multiplay would be nice.

Great game!!! I appreciate your hard work and attention in this forum.

Take care!

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:04 pm

Thanks for the feedback! I do like the CPU Golfer, I think I can add something that makes a CPU with somewhat random scores pretty easy. I'll have the scores average around your past average, so if you play consistent you can win ~50% of the time. I'm also looking into a 3 click swing option, I think it is long overdue. Multiplayer online would be great, but I'm not sure if I'll have the time to add that anytime soon.
GL Golf - Pinball Massacre - Barnyard Blaster - Rocket Golf - Liquid Defense - Hydrothermal

Barry
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Post by Barry » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:29 am

Jake,
I've got one for you...
Can you put a volume control on the sound? Instead of just and 'on/off' switch?

Sometimes when I'm playing, I"ve got iTunes going in the background. If I"ve got the golf sound effects "on" and my computers volume is about halfway up, the golf sound effects are Very Loud compared to the iTunes music and I have to scramble to turn the system down. Even if I set my computer volume to the very lowest level, the Tee-off noise is still kinda piercing. The rest of the sounds aren't too bad. I'm using headphones on a macbook pro, by the way.
An in-game slider level we can use to set the sounds to whatever level we prefer would be a nice perk. Maybe even a separate one for the music, which I do turn on sometimes.

thanks,
-Barry

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:31 pm

Great idea Barry, that should be real easy to add to the next update! I too wish more programs had volume controls, sometimes I forget about my AIM conversations because I can't hear the incoming message sound over my other programs.

baseballmartz8
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Post by baseballmartz8 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:54 pm

I just downloaded the update. It is good but I thought that there would be a new course. Not complaining, but, will there be new one? Also, thanks for the best scores. A best shots page would also be neat (longest putt, longest drive, longest chip in...). Maybe you could show like the hole in ones and then have a replay video of it. I also like the CPU player idea. It would be cool to play someone when you just be yourself. I got so used to the double tap swing that I rarely even use the swing button! Another idea would be to add weather effects. Like you could choose snow, rain, sun, overcast, fog (?), strong winds, or random. One last idea would be to add a landscape in the background. Like a forest of some mountains or something. I also like the idea of the scorecard. I use it a lot. Thanks for all the work your doing, it is by far my favorite game!

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:00 pm

I'm done with two new courses and actually have a 17 new courses being finished right now for a "deluxe" edition. The deluxe edition will have all 22 courses and the standard version will have a free update where it will then have a sixth course. This should happen mid-december, I'm wrapping up everything right now.

I'm glad you're enjoying the best rounds and scorecard. I hope I can add those other features you mentioned to one of the next versions, I still have them on my list. I have fog in the mac version but I haven't had a chance to figure out how to do it on the iPhone yet.

Thanks for the posts, I'll keep working on GL Golf for you guys as long as I know people are enjoying the improvements!

baseballmartz8
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Post by baseballmartz8 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:45 pm

cool, any idea how much the deluxe version will cost?

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:49 pm

baseballmartz8 wrote:cool, any idea how much the deluxe version will cost?
I'm guessing around $12-$15, hopefully with a discount the first week for current owners. I will recommend on the product page that anyone that wants to spend less money buy the standard version for $8.

baseballmartz8
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Post by baseballmartz8 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:08 pm

awesome. just curious, how much will the discount be and will it be the same thing as the version now just with the extra courses? 22, wow thats alot!

schplurg
Nuclear Nova Member

Post by schplurg » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:20 pm

Thanks for the new update! I like the additions. A few notes...

- There is a tree floating about 100 feet above the ground on either the 11th or 12th hole of Old Andrews course. I noticed it on my approach shot.

- a bit of smoothing would be nice around and on some of the greens. I chipped from greenside once at about 2/3 strength and the ball went about 6 inches. Perhaps it hit the hill? Also some of the greens/pin locations are very tough to putt...really steep. A good strong putt will sometimes go a very short distance.

- The ball physics seem slightly different on this new version, but I could be wrong. I've hit a few drives that landed on a slight upslope only to watch the ball bounce backwards from it. Kinda funny. Never noticed it before.

- I like the panoram idea mentioned above. Either that or place some more trees on the course (of course this may be a FPS killer).

- show how many inches above or below the hole is from the ball. Will aid in putting as well as club selection.

- Make Pro mode show the distance to the hole. The game is impossible without it, although I've only tried it once.

Finally, a question:
Does the lie angle affect the trajectory of a shot? Sometimes it seems to.

This game is GREAT! I love it and it is one of the most played on my iPhone. Would be cool with online multiplayer ;) I'm hoping existing owners could get a deal on your Deluxe version :D

Thanks for the great game!

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:55 pm

You're welcome for the update, more coming!

I'll take a look and fix that tree for 1.03, normally around 0.1% of the trees do that so I have to remove them!

I'm not sure if I can do much about the edges of the green, but I've wanted to do a re-write of the terrain engine so maybe I'll get around to it some time.

Ball physics were not changed in this version to my knowledge, maybe the faster framerates are having some weird effect?

Hopefully there will be more trees in the new courses since the game is running faster in the most recent version

I have the vertical inches above/below on the mac version, I'll see if I can squeeze it in but the interface is already cluttered.

Pro mode will remain, I have several golfers that really enjoy the challenge (its too hard for me!)

Lie angle doesnt affect trajectory yet, but it is on the too do list.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm really glad you're enjoying the game!

mhl_SC
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Post by mhl_SC » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:14 am

I've been playing 1.2 for a couple of days. For the most part I like your changes. The swing button is an improvement, and I'm glad you resisted the passionate request(s) to change to three presses instead of two. I like the improvements to the greens, particularly taking out some of the radical contours. I am also pleased with the ability to keep a record of games by course. I stumbled across a score card, but I can't find it again. Unfortunately, there now seems to be a graphics glitch that occasionaly causes a momentary interuption. Still I enjoy playing the game more than before.

jandefischer
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Post by jandefischer » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:38 pm

I came by to mention a problem with the new version and I see someone also mentioned it. "there now seems to be a graphics glitch that occasional causes a momentary interruption."

Often when the ball is on flight, it hesitates for a split second and then resumes. I've also had this happen while making a putt.

This definitely was not the case until the new version.

Checking the best scores for all players, it's hard to believe scores in the 40's. Some of those scores seem impossible. Are they the results of the Apple Computer based version of the game?

John

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:47 pm

I'll make sure to figure out what this momentary delay is for the next version, I have a feeling it has to do with the code from the ads in the Lite version. I've come to accept that some people can get incredibly low scores that I will never match, the mac scores are separate and even more amazing than the iPhone scores (http://nuclearnova.com/highscores.php)

jandefischer
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Post by jandefischer » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:05 am

Jake,

Just FYI, I'm using the standard version, not the lite, yet I'm getting the interruption issue.

John

schplurg
Nuclear Nova Member

Post by schplurg » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:07 pm

I am also getting the momentary lag on the full version.

Thought of another feature I'd love to see. It would be great if we could raise the camera view before taking a shot. Some of the tee shots are totally blind. Either that or add an aiming line on the overhead view, or add a colored dot on the existing overhead distance "curve" indicating the direction a straight shot will go. I guess I would prefer an elevated camera though instead. Just a thought.

I too am wondering how people are getting the crazy low scores. Even on easy I can't get THAT low, and I usually play on expert, or whatever the medium difficulty level is.

I have a question about the shot meter. Does distance decrease or is the accuracy affected if we swing too hard (when the strength line is off the right edge of the meter)? Sometimes there is a beep when you release it at a certain point...I believe there are a few different beeps actually. What do they mean?

I notice many iPhone games have very little information or help on their websites (unlike yours where YOU are the information and help). For instance, Fastlane Racing has virtually no website at all. Very strange.

Great work man!

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:04 am

Try pressing the View button a few times to get different views, hopefully that will help with the blind shots. Yes, hitting too high on the shot meter will decrease accuracy, especially when you hear a bad sounding beep. If you hear a higher pitched beep thats because you hit the maximum power mark.

Thanks again,

mf ben
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Post by mf ben » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:21 pm

I'm noticing an issue on getting my scores posted to the internet; I've only had 1 score actually get posted, the rest just go to my local rounds. I should have the top score at Augusta on expert but the score wouldn't post. Does this have to do w/ interrupting a round by hitting the home button, using your mulligan, or is it just a glitch? I guess my suggestion would be to clarify this in the next version, e.g., You cannot interrupt the round for it to qualify, can't use your mulligan, etc. What do I need to do to get a round posted?

Wondering if this is a built in safeguard against a much bigger issue; the mulligan glitch. I'm sure others have identified this by now, but you can have as many mulligans as you like by pressing the home key while the ball is still in motion, and then resuming. This too should be fixed (if it is fixable).

Also, yardage should be shown in pro mode. That's just unreasonable...even the best players in the world, who could conceivably eyeball distances in real life within 5-10 yards consistently, are given precise information on yardage. This is a screen and we're supposed to tell the difference between 155 and 170 yards? Memorization is the only way around this.

I have to edit again for coming off too critical; overall this a great game and I'm sorta addicted to it.