GL Golf Suggestions [Mac/iOS Merged]

GL Golf Feedback for the Mac and iPhone
barryap
Nuclear Nova Newbie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: *** GL Golf for the iPhone Suggestions ***

Post by barryap » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:07 pm

Love the game. One minor thing I'd like to see is the mulligan button being clickable while the ball's still in the air. Sometimes I know I've hit an awful shot, and I don't like having to wait for it to stop rolling to get a do-over.

Thanks!

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:25 pm

Good idea, I'll do that for ver 1.07 in April/May. Then I won't have to watch that terrible inevitable splash after I hit the ball into the water on hole 18!
Nuclear Nova Software - Games and Apps for the Mac, iPhone, iPad, and iPod
GL Golf - Pinball Massacre - Barnyard Blaster - Rocket Golf - Liquid Defense - Hydrothermal

justin
Nuclear Nova Newbie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by justin » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:40 am

I love the game, I play it all the time, and I think you've done a great job designing all the courses and keeping it interesting. I wasn't going to say anything about the one loophole I found, but now someone is abusing it and I think it needs to be stopped. There is one player, Batman, who is obviously very good and has posted some legitimately high scores all over the place, but he is taking advantage of this loophole and today was the last straw. I know what he is doing because I discovered it a while ago but I never saw any harm in it until now. The deal is that if you finish a round, submit your score, go to the main menu, and hit resume...you will be brought back to the final shot of your last round. If that happens to be a 2-foot putt, so be it. I love this feature because, if for some reason (and this HAS happened to me), you have a great round but your internet connection fails when you try to submit a score, you can go to a place where you do have internet connection, resume the game, make your putt, and post the score you willingly deserve. The problem is when someone decides that they will resubmit the same score over and over just to make it look like they did it multiple times when they really only did it once. Batman shot a 40 on Isle West, which is a hell of a feat; I give him all the credit he deserves. I did it too, though, so I know how hard it is. I also know that there is no way he shot a 40 five times today, like the leaderboard shows. I'll bet that if you have a record of the exact submission times of the scores, those five scores (and the three 52s on Happy Pines on 4/1 and the five 51s on Lakeside Municipal on 3/19) are all only minutes apart. The fact is that anyone could do this but is is disrespectful to those that put in the time and effort to post some great scores only to have someone bump them off with bogus multiple scores. If you have a great round, congratulations, but don't compromise the integrity of the game just for some stupid stunt. I actually don't really want you to remove this feature, just in case anyone gets screwed out of a score because of a crappy internet connection, but I think you should clean up the bogus scores and leave only the legitimate ones. I know it's only a game and there are far more important things in our lives, but some of us have a lot of fun with this and take our high scores seriously. I just want to keep it real.

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:47 am

Thanks for the bug report Justin, and I agree with all of the comments you make! I'm going to delete the scores on Isle West right now, and I'll make sure to fix the bug during the next update next month (1.06 has already been submitted to the app store). It should be an easy fix luckily
GL Golf - Pinball Massacre - Barnyard Blaster - Rocket Golf - Liquid Defense - Hydrothermal

mf ben
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Post by mf ben » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:26 am

I just wanted to chime in and say I think its BS to post multiple top scores as a matter of etiquette, glitch or no glitch. That being said I have exploited this glitch to 'post the score I willingly deserve', but never used it to 'repost' because I try very hard not to be a douche.

We need more discussion on this board of the game in general. Some shit talking, even.

justin
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Post by justin » Mon May 04, 2009 3:57 am

I agree that there needs to be more discussion and I'm all for trash talking, too. A couple things that I would comment on. First of all, There are plenty of times that there is no way I hit a tree, but sure enough, my ball dies like it hit a tree. I'm not sure if there if an invisible forcefield 10 feet around certain trees that kill golf balls, but they have ruined entire rounds for me. Please, if there is any way to ease up on the tree-induced ball-killing, that would be great. And for the love of God, can you get rid of the ridiculous scores at the very top of the GL Classic and Rocky Beach leaderboards? It is physically impossible to shoot a 28 on GL Classic, and the only way to shoot a 31 on Rocky Beach is if you nail every single approach shot (basically impossible). I don't know how these two scores ever posted, but I'm calling major bullshit and they are both eyesores. Also, when you are on the green, the distance meter shows yards, but should it really be measured in feet? A "10 yard" putt in this game looks much more like a 10 foot putt, because a 30 foot putt is a loooong way.

And MFBen,I want to see your name on more than just a few of the leaderboards. You are at the top of the Ashdown board on expert (I took down your score on normal), but I only see your name on a few other courses. Play Ravenswood or Lakeside for a while. Those are great courses with plenty of variation. For pure strategy, though, I think my favorite course is Morrowsfield. Because the greens are nice and flat for the most part, it's all about the drives and approaches and not missing any shots. You have to be so disciplined with each shot because the margin of error to shoot a really low score is very small. I think I have figured out how to play every hole on that course so that I can realistically expect to eagle 10 holes and double eagle 2 holes. That leaves only 6 holes that I am OK with getting a birdie. Anyway, I'm rambling. That was my 2 cents.

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Mon May 04, 2009 10:01 am

The trees do need some work, I've added that to my too do list but I'm not sure when I'll get to it. I just released the two crazy best rounds, but just keep in mind I can't watch the scoreboards all the time and occasionally those hacked scores come online. Some of the putts look shorter because the scale of the game isn't 100% realistic. If I made the ball/club/hole/flag smaller everything would look more to scale, but I kind of like it the way it is now.

It's nice to see some competition on the board, I need to find a way to get more users on the board. Maybe if I put a link in the about screen 1% of the users will click it and that will still be a good number of new people on the forums

justin
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Post by justin » Tue May 05, 2009 12:45 am

Thanks Jake. I know you've got better things to do than to monitor the best scores, that's why I brought it to your attention. Great game, though. I thought I might get tired of it by now, but not even close. There are just too many courses to play. And do I see that you are releasing more soon? I can't wait if you are. Keep it up!

thebeed
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Post by thebeed » Tue May 12, 2009 3:03 pm

Hi and thanks for the great game. Just a couple of issues...

1. If I get a call while a shot is in the air, when I return to the game I've lost a stroke. Very frustrating near the end of a good round. This probably happened when you fixed the cheating bug.
2. Downhill putts seem to roll slower than uphill or level ones...very counter intuitive. Also, the breaks on downhill putts seemed to go the opposite direction than they would in real life.
3. It would be nice if settings like "sound on/off" could be saved so we didn't have to set it each time...perhaps some sort of preferences tab.
4. The frequent pause and jerking in the swing meter is driving me a bit crazy and has caused many a flubbed shot. Also the game crashes entirely pretty frequently.
5. As far as the trees, I agree that the boundaries are a little fuzzy. But also sometimes the trees don't even load on a hole so you might hit a tree that does not even show up. On holes I know I can see when this happens and just pause and restart the game and the trees "magically" appear.
6. It would be nice if there were some indicator that wold tell you if you were in the sand or the rough on those times when you are right on the edge and can't tell.

Thanks again for a great game.

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Tue May 12, 2009 4:50 pm

1. Yes that was due to the cheating bug fix (I didn't realize it at the time though), I'm not sure if I can fix both at the same time but I'll try to figure something out.
2. Sometimes the putting has problems, be careful on steep slopes until I fix it (If I ever get the chance, working on a new golf game at the moment :))
3. Check the help screen, it's there
4. I'm still not sure whats happening with the jerk, but the crashing never happens on my iPhone. Try to restart your iPhone before each round, that should definitely help.
5. I am clueless to this one as well, it started happening on the mac version too and its so intermittent that I can't find the cause!
6. The power meter should tell you. If its full length you are in the green/fairway, 90% is rough, and 70% is sand.

Thanks for the comments!

thebeed
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Post by thebeed » Tue May 12, 2009 5:55 pm

Thanks for the response. To clarify, I know how to turn the sound on/off. I was just thinking it would be nice if I didn't have to do it every time I started a new session. For instance, it might be nice if when I start a new game, my settings for the last game would be remembered (i.e. course, sound, season, level etc.).

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Tue May 12, 2009 9:44 pm

Oh... I thought it was doing that, I'll look into it. Thanks

thebeed
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Post by thebeed » Fri May 15, 2009 6:34 pm

It might also be fun to be able to link to the entire scorecard of the best scores to see exactly how the scores were achieved.

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Sat May 16, 2009 1:03 pm

Good idea, I know I had the ability to upload each holes scores on the mac version at one point, so I might be able to do that. In the mean time you can hold the two buttons on the iphone simultaneously to take a picture of your cards.

mf ben
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Post by mf ben » Wed May 20, 2009 8:52 pm

justin wrote: And MFBen,I want to see your name on more than just a few of the leaderboards. You are at the top of the Ashdown board on expert (I took down your score on normal), but I only see your name on a few other courses. Play Ravenswood or Lakeside for a while. Those are great courses with plenty of variation. For pure strategy, though, I think my favorite course is Morrowsfield. Because the greens are nice and flat for the most part, it's all about the drives and approaches and not missing any shots. You have to be so disciplined with each shot because the margin of error to shoot a really low score is very small. I think I have figured out how to play every hole on that course so that I can realistically expect to eagle 10 holes and double eagle 2 holes. That leaves only 6 holes that I am OK with getting a birdie. Anyway, I'm rambling. That was my 2 cents.

I've tried to target the 5/5 difficulty courses, since there are just so damn many to choose from and I don't have a lot of time to play. I like the courses where -18 is a really solid score....I think of it as 'even par' in a golf game. Having to string together half a dozen or more eagles in order to get a low score just seems like too much luck to me. I guess that is why you'll see me on the boards at courses with the trickier greens. FYI the score at Ashdown was never posted on Normal (I never play on it), there is a glitch where scores occasionally post to the wrong difficulty when resumed.
I will check out the first two courses you recommended, unless I need to shoot -37 or something to make the top. I'm gonna have some trouble adjusting now that I can no longer draw or fade my putts though.

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Wed May 20, 2009 9:14 pm

Oh wow, I knew you could select fade/draw on putts before but I didn't realize it did anything! I have some nice improvements for putting in the coming month :)

mf ben
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Post by mf ben » Wed May 20, 2009 10:50 pm

I knew I should have put a smiley there....

thebeed
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Post by thebeed » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:46 pm

With the new update it's often (not always) impossible to change the shot settings when taking a mulligan, which I would want to do since I needed the mulligan in the first place :?

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:17 pm

This has been fixed for the new update. However, Apple is taking on average of three weeks to actually approve/reject anything, so don't expect an update for at least one and a half weeks :(.

walter
Nuclear Nova Legend

Re: *** GL Golf Suggestions ***

Post by walter » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:38 am

I would like to see the "trees" looking more realistic and more different species. From my point of view the "trees" are nearly all pine trees and appear to be like cut outs pasted here there and every where. In my part of the world there are birch, aspen, and blue spruce.

Now I understand the purpose of this game but the aesthetics are also very important to enjoying playing at any given course. Otherwise it's just a drab environment.

No offense meant here Jake.
The Famous Adventures of Mr. Magoo - Robin Hood https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzoWVNsY6a4