VERSION 2.16 - 1st report

GL Golf Feedback for the Mac and iPhone
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
neilgbarclay
Nuclear Nova Hero
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

VERSION 2.16 - 1st report

Post by neilgbarclay » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:51 am

Okay, Jake:

First, while the Random Hole course doesn't freeze like it used to, it plays up to hole 14 and then brings up the same hole over and over and won't proceed beyond that. If it continues to do this I'll let you know.

The "real time" shadows add verisimilitude, but do little else, and could be a tad distracting for some players. Seems to me a lot of work for not much gain.

My Version History only went to 2.14 when I had 2.15. Now it shows up to 2.15, when I do have 2.16.

The anisotropic filter did not default to X4 - I had to do it manually. Maybe my computer isn't fast enough, but it is a 24" version of the latest iMac (2 Gb Memory; 2GHz processor speed), with Leopard.

Turning off the flyby was the best part.

Other fixes I haven't played enough to detect.

EDIT - Merged from other thread

Ah, Jake, make of this what you will.

I have now played six or seven times on "Random Holes" and had no repeat of the previously-mentioned problem. Maybe it was a fluke, and the problem is corrected after all.

I should confess that when it comes to musical instruments, whether in the orchestra or on the golf course, I'm known as the Mozart of the fluke.

You ought to see me with my putter and a little night music. It's enough to make Oberon jealous.

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:05 am

I'm glad the Random Holes isn't freezing anymore, each hole had a 1 in 21 chance of freezing before! I'm not sure about the locking up, but by your other thread it seems like it might be a rare occurrence.

The shadows weren't an incredible amount of work, I wanted to learn how to program them so it was a good experience. Hopefully I'll be able to shadow more things in the future.

The version history won't update to 2.16 until I actually release the update. We're still in the beta testing phase now.

I think I set the anisotropic filter to only default to 4X of computers faster than 2.167GHZ to hopefully weed out the iMacs and Macbooks with integrated X950 graphics chips. Not a perfect solution but I would rather the game run smooth rather than look a little better.

PS - I'm merging your other thread to keep the forum a little more organized
Nuclear Nova Software - Games and Apps for the Mac, iPhone, iPad, and iPod
GL Golf - Pinball Massacre - Barnyard Blaster - Rocket Golf - Liquid Defense - Hydrothermal

neilgbarclay
Nuclear Nova Hero
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

BETA 2.16

Post by neilgbarclay » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:27 pm

Dumb question:

When the non-Beta arrives, need I download it?

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:33 pm

If everything goes good (which it has so far) then you won't need to. When I send out the update email it will say whether or not beta testers need to bother downloading the new one.

I was hoping more people would respond with positive news, but I'm in no rush so I'll give it some more time.

PS Neil, if you want to try my new game check out this thread - viewtopic.php?t=3095 . I'm always in need of more testers and you've given me a ton of feedback about GL Golf
GL Golf - Pinball Massacre - Barnyard Blaster - Rocket Golf - Liquid Defense - Hydrothermal

neilgbarclay
Nuclear Nova Hero

LIQUID DEFENSE

Post by neilgbarclay » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:16 am

Ah, Jake old sod:

I took a look at your new game and perceived that it is not my dish of ice cream. I'd be happy to help you out, but it looks way too complicated for this old noggin.

walter
Nuclear Nova Legend

Post by walter » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:25 pm

Jake,
As I noted in a previous posting: GL 2.15 the description area of the course ( any course selected ) was just an empty "white" box for my IntelMac.

In GL 2.16 it is now fine.

Thanks for the fix.

walter

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:02 pm

walter wrote:Jake,
As I noted in a previous posting: GL 2.15 the description area of the course ( any course selected ) was just an empty "white" box for my IntelMac.

In GL 2.16 it is now fine.

Thanks for the fix.

walter
I'm glad it's working now! I'm still stumped on why it turned out white on some computers, but it was pretty easy to find another way to fix the problem.