[Mac] GL Golf Beta Program

GL Golf Feedback for the Mac and iPhone
Jake
Site Admin

Re: GL Golf Beta Program

Post by Jake » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:46 pm

Yeah the greens can be tricky, it's real important to get a good position while chipping onto the green. I'm glad the music bug is fixed, if I released that bug I would have had 50 emails within the first day.

Nice double eagle, I'm still amazed how my customers are better than me at my own game!
Nuclear Nova Software - Games and Apps for the Mac, iPhone, iPad, and iPod
GL Golf - Pinball Massacre - Barnyard Blaster - Rocket Golf - Liquid Defense - Hydrothermal

neilgbarclay
Nuclear Nova Hero
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

ADDENDUM

Post by neilgbarclay » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:18 pm

Jako old sod,

There has been an unfortunate development in the sound bug I reported recently: now I cannot get that monotonous tune that comes on automatically to quit the way I was able to before - by turning "Music On" then " hitting "Music Off" again. I now have to turn off all sound from my keyboard. This, as Ben Stein would say, I do not need. It is extremely irritating. Please correct it before any other bug.

This last time it came on on Isle South, hole 1. It has happened, though, on every course I've played so far. Same with the lack of the sound of play on a hole or two - no whack when the ball is hit. That I can deal with, but that bloody song really has to go!

Regards,
Legend

Jake
Site Admin

Re: ADDENDUM

Post by Jake » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:25 pm

Since this still pertains to the beta I'm merging it with the beta thread, in the future please use it to post anything about the betas.

It's been fixed in the beta and I should be sending an email out around Thursday or so with the final version of 2.18. Sorry about the inconvenience until then!
GL Golf - Pinball Massacre - Barnyard Blaster - Rocket Golf - Liquid Defense - Hydrothermal

neilgbarclay
Nuclear Nova Hero
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by neilgbarclay » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:12 am

:mrgreen: Okay, Jake! :mrgreen:

I can handle the annoyance till then. Thanks for the information. Somehow I missed the fact that this was a Beta Program when I downloaded the 2.18.

I'd have been somewhat prepared because I know that those are basically for finding out what needs fixing. I'm assuming that the missing thwack on the ball will be restored, also.

I will definintely try to post on the Beta thread any time there is one with something to report.

I still don't know what a thread is, and the funny thing is I asked a friend who's a programmer to explain it to me and he couldn't translate the answer into plain English no matter how hard he tried. Watching him struggle with cyberese was hilarious. But I do have a vague general notion. He said something about not keeping threads parallel can cause serious havoc. I'm assuming your situation isn't that bad.

I watch the "Dilbert" comic strip on the Internet and it has been listed as Beta for many months, now. I can't figure out what's going on. For a while the strip appeared twice, in a different format, every time it opened: it hasn't happened in quite a while, so I don't have a clue as to what the programmer might doing with that one.

Apparently not all of your customers got as bug-hit as were I and the "double eagle" to whom you responded.

Hey, I hit a double-eagle the first time I played the new course. Pure accident. Haven't come close since.

Till GL Golf came into my life of little ease, "to be or not to be" was the only question with which I had to deal. Now my situation is significantly more complicated.

Thanks again.

The Legend (someday you're going to have to explain that appellation to me).

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:38 pm

I think your friend was trying to explain the other meaning of thread. He was trying to explain a complicated computer programming term, when I was referring to another meaning related to online forums. Here is a link on the thread I was referring too - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_forum#Thread

As for "Lengend", that just means that you have a certain amount of posts on this forum. I'm not sure what comes after Legend or how many posts it requires, but you'll probably find out eventually at this posting rate

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:44 pm

Beta 2.19 is up with a new online tournament mode at http://nuclearnova.com/fullglgolfbeta.zip . Please post any incompatibilities, major problems, or comments on new features here.

From the read me file :
"Tournaments
GL Golf now supports online tournaments! These four round tournaments are usually announced and start on the day of version updates. Golfers may play one round per day on a specified course and difficulty, adding each score to their previous total. One week after the tournament starts scores are finalized, and the lowest 4 round total wins!
"

I have a test tournament setup for the next week, I recommend playing through an entire round and not saving/resuming because I've had a few problems saving with tournaments in my own testing.

Added a four day online tournament mode
Added a three button control option for increased difficulty
Added a long distance putter club that can go 60 yards
Hitting from the rough or sand now reduces backspin, hook, draw, and adds a small amount of randomness to shot distance
The best rounds list now shows which course and difficulty you are viewing
Organized the menu system
Increased the default resolution to 1280x800
Returning to the main menu from an expert or pro game no longer resets the selected clubs

cal411
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Post by cal411 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:16 pm

Just played the newest beta tournament round. Although I completely sucked on the default GL Classic course, bad day with the sticks... it registers having played 1/4 rounds, but did not save tournament info. That is, it says no tournament progress... or something like that. Or, maybe it's just because 11+ is too embarrassing for the program to want to hold onto :p

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:31 pm

Thanks for the response. I checked my logs and found your game, for some reason it submitted as round "0" instead of round "1". I manually added it to the list, maybe tomorrow after the 1 day wait passes you can try again and hopefully something will register.

I actually programmed 80% of this in the summer, so going back through my code to figure out what I did is proving difficult. I'll hopefully have it finished before I release the final 2.19 version though.

Sam Ples
Nuclear Nova Member

Post by Sam Ples » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:27 pm

I've had balls disappear into hills on the greens of holes 11 and 13 on the GL Classic course. On 13 I had to hit out of one.

Vince

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:15 am

I'll keep an eye out for those, although it's probably the same bug that I've been trying to recreate for months.

It looks like someone else had a successful first round of the tournament, I see three people on the list now

neilgbarclay
Nuclear Nova Hero

Beta 2.19 initial report

Post by neilgbarclay » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:51 am

Okay, Jake:

Can't get the three-tap swing system to work. (I have only tried Normal and Pro, slow and full Speed Power bar, on Breaker's Point). No sweat - it's meaningless to me anyway, but I thought you ought to know the "problem" I ran into.

The 60 ft putter addition is great. Before, I often got miffed when the ball stopped 1" from the cup in a direct line shot using the most powerful swing.

I now use resulution 1920-1200. Ought I to use the new default? (I'm on a 2.8 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 24" iMac)

The tournament addition is doubtless a great addition, but way out of my league. I really think that for those far better at golf than I am it is a superb idea. I think it should increase the interest/business in GL by quite a bit. But it ain't duffer's alley.

Do not understand 3-button control option - where is it?

I definitely approve the changes you made in hitting from roughs and sand traps: I think it far more realistic to affect distance, rather than aim.

Other options I will not be able to judge because I'll not use them.

So far, everything seems to work fine.

As for the "hidden ball" syndrome somebody reported, that is perfectly natural. On a real course, balls get hidden all the time. There are such things as hills and gulleys. I have found that pressing the "B" key, giving a birds-eye view, usually shows where the ball lies. In any event, the ball is there, so just hit it! On a real golf course how does one fly over the area to sight the ball - some complaints are really ridiculous. NOTE: mine never are.

If I run into any trouble, I'll report.

Regards,

Legend

AndrewD
Nuclear Nova Legend

Post by AndrewD » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:54 am

Hi Jake, been a while since I played but the game's much improved since I last downloaded, well done!

I did notice that the textures look much better, but there seem to be even more spots where the ball disappears or floats.

Apart from that, I played a quick first round of the tournament, the bug I noticed was 4 extra clubs "below" a putter. Sometimes one of these "null" clubs is selected by the game.

Andrew

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:32 am

Neil, I merged your thread, in the future please post beta related things into this thread instead of creating a new one.

Did you turn on the three tap in the preferences menu first? Don't worry about the resolution, keep using 1920x1200 on your computer, I just changed the default resolution so that the game window is bigger for new users who have never opened the game before. I wish I could figure out this hidden ball thing, but I agree that I've had several hidden balls in real life golfing!

Andrew, I'm not sure where the 4 null clubs came from, I can't recreate the bug.

As for the tournament, it looks like I still have some work to do. I finished my second round and it submitted as round 0 out of 4, and then I went to start my third round and it told me tournament progress lost. Don't be surprised if something similar happens to you, at least until I get the final version finalized.

redmelons
Nuclear Nova Member

Post by redmelons » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:42 pm

Thanks Jake - tournament is a great idea and will increase the incentive to play.

I know we're not supposed to do it ;) ... but attempting to play a further tournament round within the same day produces a 'Please wait at least one day ...' message, and also a never-ending 'Loading ...' and spinning wheel. I have to click 'Main Menu' to continue. What is trying to load?

When I finished GL Classic I had a score of -3, and my Round History also shows this, but on the Best Rounds list I am shown as -2. Is this because I took a Mulligan?

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:28 pm

I'll make sure to fix that "Loading..." from spinning after you get the please wait one day message.

After taking a closer look, GL Classic is actually a par 73 course even though I've been listing it as a par 72. This will be fixed in the finalized version.

cal411
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Post by cal411 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:58 pm

Jake wrote:Thanks for the response. I checked my logs and found your game, for some reason it submitted as round "0" instead of round "1". I manually added it to the list, maybe tomorrow after the 1 day wait passes you can try again and hopefully something will register.

I actually programmed 80% of this in the summer, so going back through my code to figure out what I did is proving difficult. I'll hopefully have it finished before I release the final 2.19 version though.
Thanks for the response Jake. I tried to play again, but all I get is "Tournament Progress Lost." I guess when you shoot an 11 over...

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:43 am

Thanks for the report. I think I fixed the tournament progress lost, along with several other bugs, I just haven't uploaded a new beta yet.

Barry
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Post by Barry » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:01 am

Hi Jake,
just played a tournament round on the new beta. Worked great, and I really like the new reflecting water. Thats cool!
I did, however, have some video artifacts on the 8th hole (of whatever the tournament was. The classic course?) After I teed off and I'm lining up my second shot and the entire background/ horizon (the trees) were all over the screen, making it look like bad reception on a tv. Just a jumble of background stuff.
Does that make any sense or do you need more info?

-Barry

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:30 pm

Thanks for the report. I'm not sure what's going on to cause that problem, if you ever see it again can you please email me a screenshot (press command-shift-3) to support .a.t. nuclearnova.com along with your system information? If If figure out what this is I'll be sure to fix it

AndrewD
Nuclear Nova Legend

Post by AndrewD » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:59 pm

I've been busy and not able to try out tournament again, but there's another bug with the forever spinning "loading..." even though the message "this tournament has expired" is displayed.