[Mac] GL Golf Beta Program

GL Golf Feedback for the Mac and iPhone
StlCrtn
Nuclear Nova Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Update 2.15

Post by StlCrtn » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:45 pm

I've noticed a substantial glitch. I've actually noticed in the past as well. When clicking replay it doesn't work, you end up having to complete the hole. I had a hole in one, clicked replay and it made me complete the hole again giving me a par instead.

I've noticed this as well in past versions.
Live Hard, Die Young... Leave a Good Looking Corpse!!!

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:58 pm

That replay glitch is happening in 2.15??? I found two possible reason and fixed them both. I spent a good while trying to hit the replay and have the ball not go in but I never could get it to happen, so I thought I finally nailed this bug in 2.15.
Nuclear Nova Software - Games and Apps for the Mac, iPhone, iPad, and iPod
GL Golf - Pinball Massacre - Barnyard Blaster - Rocket Golf - Liquid Defense - Hydrothermal

Sam Ples
Nuclear Nova Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Sam Ples » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:20 am

Jake,

The program is running fine for me except I've noticed the greens seem to have a lot more roll to them.

Vince

Sam Ples
Nuclear Nova Member

Ball disappears

Post by Sam Ples » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:48 am

I've experienced the ball disappearing into the embankment of the 6th hole at Isle West.

Vince

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:42 am

Thanks, I'll check it out. Those individual hole bugs are normally easy to fix
GL Golf - Pinball Massacre - Barnyard Blaster - Rocket Golf - Liquid Defense - Hydrothermal

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:42 am

Beta 2.16 is up at http://nuclearnova.com/fullglgolfbeta.zip . Please post any incompatibilities, major problems, or comments on new features here.

Also, if anyone has a Macbook or any other computer with the intel integrated graphics (950 or 3100), please let me know how the new shadows look/perform.

Added real time shadows to the clubs
Fixed a major glitch where the ball would sometimes float on or be buried in the grass
Fixed a bug where the course name and description wouldn't always show up in the main menu
Fixed a bug which could cause the random 18 holes to crash
Added hole pars and yardages to the preview and score screen
The shot parameters can be adjusted in a flyby by pressing any flyby button twice in a row
Added an option to get rid of the flybys
Fixed a bug where the round/version history menu items would open the wrong screen
Defaults to 4x anisotropic filtering with most new computers
Fixed a bug where the putter wasn't always selectable in the sand
Five other small improvements

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:29 pm

Medium quality mode has been fixed for the final release

Jake
Site Admin

Re: GL Golf Beta Program

Post by Jake » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:36 am

Beta 2.17 is up at http://nuclearnova.com/fullglgolfbeta.zip . Please post any incompatibilities, major problems, or comments on new features here.

PS : GL Golf for the iPhone is awaiting Apple's review, it should be out any day now!

Added night mode to the time of day options
GL Golf automatically saves after every shot and before quitting, Resume Game should be available after a crash.
Improved the mini-map arc
Added the option to disable fog (will also disable Best Round submission)
Added a save scorecard to image button after finishing a round of golf
Fixed a bug where the autolook could stutter back and forth
Fixed a bug where loading the game would load the wrong time of day
Demo users can now save/resume games
Putting closer than 10 yards now shows exact the decimal vertical distance to the hole
Trees/bushes are now more transparent when the camera is close to them
Fixed a bug where PowerPC users could crash while playing a random course
Fixed a bug where a resumed game could result in a different difficulty
Added individual player names to the scorecard
Considerably reduced the file size of the full version and demo
Several speed optimizations for older computers

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:37 pm

Beta 2.18 is up with a new course at http://nuclearnova.com/fullglgolfbeta.zip . Please post any incompatibilities, major problems, or comments on new features here.

Added a new 18 hole course, Torrey Pines South, for subscription pack owners
Night mode starts out light and gets darker each hole, morning starts out dark and gets lighter each hole
Added a new song for registered users
The ball now occasionally skips over the water at glancing angles
Improved game physics on slower computers so the ball doesn't roll way too far
Fixed a bug where GL Golf could crash while iTunes is running
Four other small improvements

StlCrtn
Nuclear Nova Member

Post by StlCrtn » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:28 pm

2.18... I've downloaded it twice. Each time I try to open it, I get the same message. "You can't open the application "GL Golf" because it is not supported on this architecture".

I'm on a 2.1GHz PowerPC G5 iMac, OS 10.5.4

Never had any problems with previous downloads.

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:35 pm

Thank goodness for beta testing, I'm uploading the fixed version as we speak (for some reason the old one didn't compile as a universal binary). Should be ready to download again in 20 minutes or so (3:35EST now)

StlCrtn
Nuclear Nova Member

Post by StlCrtn » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:47 pm

Download worked, appears to be in order. I'll let you know how it plays.

neilgbarclay
Nuclear Nova Hero

Re: Torrey Pines South & technical data

Post by neilgbarclay » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:05 am

Good one, Jake. :D

Torrey Pines is a dandy. I've only played it once, but found the greens easy to read, although quite tricky here and there.

For some reason, the whole course seems a lot easier than Beauregard (couldn't resist saying that): I can't read the greens on the latter worth diddly.

As for the techie stuff, I'm glad it will help. (I do wish Apple would be consistent in its nomenclature.) I think all the other "GL Golf,crash" reports are included, collectively, in the long bugger I sent to you. I'm glad you have to interpret it - "As for mine own part, 'twas Greek to me" as Casca said to Brutus and Cassius in the Bard's JULIUS CAESAR.

Bet you didn't know you went around quoting Shakespeare.

If you ever say "Time will tell" you'll be quoting the French/Irish playwright Samuel Becket (WAITING FOR GODOT). He may have borrowed that, however.

I can't play iTunes and Golf at the same time - sleepers around - so didn't know about them there freezes.

One other technical-type matter: I can get the Smilies to work, but can't get any of the menu/tool bar stuff at the top, like italics, to register. At least they don't show up in "Preview". Do they, perhaps, show up when I hit "Submit?"

Again, nice going.

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:01 am

I've deleted your other duplicate thread, we can just keep all the information here since it has to do with the beta test.

The greens on Torrey Pines should be a bit easier, the only part I found hard was hitting the small greens sometimes.

As for the bold/italics/underlining, I just did a test with Safari 3 on Mac OS 10.5 and they seem to work with the Preview button for me, and they always have in the final post too.
test

Again thanks for the crash log, I know exactly where to look in them for what I need.

StlCrtn
Nuclear Nova Member

Post by StlCrtn » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:02 pm

Any idea why it would keep crashing on me? This has been a constant problem. If I leave the game for a bit, hour or so it crashes. Any ideas or suggestions?

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:05 pm

StlCrtn wrote:Any idea why it would keep crashing on me? This has been a constant problem. If I leave the game for a bit, hour or so it crashes. Any ideas or suggestions?
Is this new, or has it happened in the previous versions? Does it happen when you load a new level, or just while sitting there. There could be a memory leak causing this, but I'm not sure because I've never left GL Golf open that long without quitting/restarting it.

StlCrtn
Nuclear Nova Member

Post by StlCrtn » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:33 pm

Has been happening with several versions. Works great, opens, but if I leave it open for awhile it will crash, usually after an hour or so of inactivity.
Next time it happens, I'll check my crash log and let you know what it says.

neilgbarclay
Nuclear Nova Hero

NEW BUGS

Post by neilgbarclay » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:14 am

I presume, Jake, that this might be construed as a report on 2.18.

On several of the courses I've played there is no sound of the ball being hit (it seems to happen only on the swing off the "T"): the most recent example was Isle West, hole ten. On the same course it happened about three times before hole 10.

Also, intermittently, although I have the "music" turned off, your new song will suddenly start. This happened most recently on above-mentioned course, at the start of hole 3. In order to stop it I have to go to "Sounds" and turn "music on" then "music off." This has also occurred on the new course, as well. I'm not complaining about the song, but after ten or twelve hearings it does get a little monotonous.

My powers of concentration are so poor that I don't even play iTunes during the games.

I really like the changes from dark to light on "morning." The night changes aren't nearly as dramatic. A nice touch either way, though.

If you need greater specificity, I'll start taking notes as I go through the courses. I know the "no-strike sound" happened a number of times on Rattlesnake.

By the way, is this another delta, with the fixed 2.18 yet to come? Something one of your members said led me to ask this question.

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:46 am

Thanks for more feedback! This post relates to the beta, so I merged it with the beta thread.

I wasn't able to recreate the bug with the ball being hit not making a sound, but I think I may have inadvertently fixed it by fixing the problem where the new song started to randomly play. It took me a short sitting three days in a row to find it, but this morning I was finally able to find out why the new song kept randomly starting. This will be updated in the actual 2.18 version that comes out Friday.

I'm not sure what you mean by this -
By the way, is this another delta, with the fixed 2.18 yet to come? Something one of your members said led me to ask this question.

Barry
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Post by Barry » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:32 am

Just downloaded it and gave Torrey Pines a real quick runthrough. Nice course.. very nice. A few of the putting greens drove me nuts, but its got quite a lot of variety. I also got the music on the 3rd hole, which was a distraction only because it made me chuckle. Did pretty good, so I played it again & got a double eagle on hole 7; liked it even more.

-Barry

ps. I'm on a Mac 2.4 Intel running ver. 10.5.5