Caught between a lob & pitching wedge? Tip to score better.

Nova Golf Feedback for the Mac and iPhone
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
pb2au
Nuclear Nova Legend
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Caught between a lob & pitching wedge? Tip to score better.

Post by pb2au » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:21 am

If you find that you can't use enough punch with your lob wedge, and you can't use enough loft with your pitching wedge to land on the green near the pin, here are 2 tips to help you to remedy that situation.

First - don't put yourself in that predicament. If your driver will leave you, say, 80 yards from the pin, don't hit a driver. drop down to a club that will leave you at least a full wedge to the green. That's what the pros do in real life. They lay up at a spot that gives them the best chance to hit a wedge. or another club, close to the pin.

If you miscalculate and find yourself in the unfortunate situation where you have to use a partial pitching wedge, here's what I do. Say the pitching edge carry is 140 yards (because you have a tailwind) and the distance to the pin is 110 yards. On the vertical power bar that means that the distance to the pin will be indicated at 78% of a full wedge. If you use that much power, I guarantee that you will end up way past the pin and probably over the green (almost as if you hit a full wedge). What you need to do is hit the wedge at 80% of the amount indicated on the power bar. In this example that would be 63% of a full wedge (0.8 x 78). You have to pay attention to what is between you and the pin, like traps, trees and water, because the ball will land short and skip before it stops. If the pin is close to the edge of the green, I recommend aiming away from the pin toward the center of the green.

Use it a couple of times in practice before trying it in Career Mode. Your spin level, ball brand, club brand, and other factors may require a different percentage for you

I have completed all of the tournaments with 3 different Profiles and am working on a fourth. It has saved me a number of strokes. I hope it works for you. Good Luck!
--d@ve

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable