111 rounds, 7 tourneys (I actually won one)...more thoughts

Nova Golf Feedback for the Mac and iPhone
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Deano
Nuclear Nova Legend
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

111 rounds, 7 tourneys (I actually won one)...more thoughts

Post by Deano » Wed May 23, 2012 7:12 pm

Jake,
Now firmly entrenched as a Nova Golf addict ... :-) And, as noted, I've actually won a tournament.

However, there are some things you might need to look at for the next update...
--Flag Colors: I'd like to see the option of having them maybe white or yellow. As a partially color-blind person, sometimes I have a hard tim seeing the flags against the foliage background.
--Tap-in puts where the game forces you to use a wedge.
On more than one occasion during tournament rounds on Nova Desert, I've had putts or chip shots end up on the lip of the cup but instead of a putter, I get an iron and it's virtually impossible to tap-in. (The measurement says 0.3 yds or even less).
Maybe you can tweak the program to make sure you have a putting option if the ball is within 1.5 yards of the cup or some other reasonable distance.
On one hole I had a straight putt to the cup and ended up on the lip and the club became a wedge. Guarantees to add 2 strokes to the hole.
--Hole 2 on Nova Desert: Your ball can be stopped by an invisible tree branch if you cut the dog-leg too close. You can actually clear the tree but then get knocked down by a branch that isn't there. I've also had balls hit with invisible branches on several other holes. Also, I've hit from directly beneath a branch and had the ball knocked down as it took off by a branch that wasn't visible.

--Holes 6, 10 & 15 during Tournament Round 3s on Nova Desert:
One or more of these holes has knocked me out of a tournament I was either leading or nearly leading after two rounds. These are the holes with severely elevated greens, and No. 10 is surrounded by so many trees that escape shots back onto the green from way down the slope are really difficult to navigate.
Pin positions on these three holes during Round 3s seem to be surrounded by downslope so even if you make a seemingly great lag to get close...you end up down the hill.
And it's really hard to read these greens to determine where the safe landing & lag areas might be.
It's awfully easy to take a 20 on one or more of these three holes.
Not sure how I survived the Nova Desert tournament to move to the next tournament. I know I was leading after two rounds with a total +3 score, but finished 22nd, thanks primarily a 12 on one of these holes and a couple of "lucky" double-bogeys on the other two.

Again, Jake, this is a wonderful game, every bit as frustrating as the real thing and then some. :-)

Dean

Jake
Site Admin

Re: 111 rounds, 7 tourneys (I actually won one)...more thoug

Post by Jake » Thu May 24, 2012 8:03 am

Great, I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Flag color - We're actually considering changing the colors based on how far back the pin is, I'll consider this too
Putts - Fixed in the pending 1.01 update (already submitted), the putter is available much more often now. A few of the pins are further away from the fringe.
Hole 2 - This is a straight long par 4, what dog leg do you mean? Can you send a screenshot?
Hole 6-10 - Both of these holes are much more fair for 1.01. #15 I didn't get to but I'll work on for 1.02

1.01 should make the game much more enjoyable, and I'm sure 1.02 will also. Thanks for the feedback!
Nuclear Nova Software - Games and Apps for the Mac, iPhone, iPad, and iPod
GL Golf - Pinball Massacre - Barnyard Blaster - Rocket Golf - Liquid Defense - Hydrothermal

Deano
Nuclear Nova Legend
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Deano » Thu May 24, 2012 3:57 pm

Jake,

It's Hole 4, not Hole 2.

I think it was very late at night during golf withdrawal prior to going to sleep that I thought it was Hole 2. :-)

The coming tweaks sound great, particularly adding more putter instances. Thanks. That is a very handy club. Also, thanks for the ability to punch a ball nice and low. Very handy when I'm stuck behind and under trees.

Now I've got to build my strength up for the next tournament, this one on Nova Links. That course plays really long when the wind is against you. And the varying slopes, both fairways and greens, are a real challenge.

Cheers ...

Dean

Deano
Nuclear Nova Legend

Additional thoughts...

Post by Deano » Wed May 30, 2012 6:04 pm

Jake,

I'm hoping the update will be available soon. :-)

I'm getting better and I'm up to the Nova Desert Pro Tour Open. The last try at that tournament, I played the course over four rounds under par, EXCEPT, for the trinity of holes -- 4, 6 & 10. A 14 in the first round on Hole 6, and and an 8 on Hole 10 in a later round (I'm getting a lot better at the killer holes, though not good enough), essentially conspired to knock me out of the tournament. With a few three-putt 6s thrown in on Hole 2 (see below).

On Hole 2. there are locations on the green where it's like you are putting in sand and yet it's not a severe uphill put. You use the color lines to judge your distance and then whack the ball with plenty of extra muscle only to see it go only a short distance toward the hole. It's not unusual to two-put from a yard away because you are afraid to overhit the ball and send it flying through/past the hole. If you start out a long distance from the hole, three-putts are often the norm and you can suffer through an occasional four-putt.

Complicating matters on the Hole 2 green is the fact that some locations on the green behave normally when you putt from them and it's hard to judge whether you're on one of those locations or on the other.

Also, the math on the Scorecards doesn't add up correctly.

Here is an examples from the most recent tournament. I shot three-over par, and the "in" and "out" totals are correct but the final total shows a 79, for seven-over-par. Other individual scorecards are also off by several strokes for the total, but not always off by the same amount.

Again, thanks for a wonderfully addicting game. Now I've got to do some work.

Dean
Attachments
Screen shot 2012-05-30 at 11.25.46 AM.png
The "In" and "Out" totals are correct but not the final total for the Round. Other scorecards show similar errors.
Screen shot 2012-05-30 at 11.25.46 AM.png (151.64 KiB) Viewed 14505 times

Deano
Nuclear Nova Legend

Post by Deano » Wed May 30, 2012 6:05 pm

Actually, that was a four-over-par round, not plus-three. Same kind of error though.

Jake
Site Admin

Post by Jake » Thu May 31, 2012 8:22 pm

1.01 just released, go get it now off the Mac App Store. Well it may take a few hours to show up. Good luck on the tournament, should be much easier now

I'll look at hole 2 and the math for the 1.02 update. Thanks for the report!
Nuclear Nova Software - Games and Apps for the Mac, iPhone, iPad, and iPod
GL Golf - Pinball Massacre - Barnyard Blaster - Rocket Golf - Liquid Defense - Hydrothermal