Tour Tips & Don't Get Discouraged!

Nova Golf Feedback for the Mac and iPhone
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
snvboy
Nuclear Nova Newbie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Tour Tips & Don't Get Discouraged!

Post by snvboy » Mon May 14, 2012 7:08 pm

60+ rounds later, a few thoughts for those starting out and those frustrated....

1) Don't let the game beat you. I mean this will all seriousness. As a semi-serious amateur golfer, the toughest thing about this game (golf) is not letting it get you down. Ever hole is a new hole, and a new chance to do better. I really like how the game play in Nova Golf emphasizes this.

As with 'real' golf, having this in the front of your mind can open the door to making the most with what you've got. Play the game you've got, not the one you wish you had.

2) Play a few practice rounds by clicking the 'Practice' button. To change the course, click on the text of the course name. There are a lot of menu items like that in Nova Golf where you click the text itself to change it. It's not the greatest UX because it isn't self intuitive, but that's just my opinion. Click around on things, it's not like you're going to break it. Practice rounds will also help you build up experience points and generate a very, very small income to spend in the pro shop.

3) Now that you've accumulated some experience on the practice tees, click "Career Mode" and apply those experience points. Think carefully about where you need to spend them. What parts of your game need the most improvement? Are there parts of the game that you can make better in the Pro Shop? I won't give away the secret sauce I've used here, but Nova Golf is VERY faithful to the addage "Drive for show, Putt for dough."

At the same time, you want to have a balanced game. And the tournaments in the career mode will reflect this.

4) OK, lets enter a tournament! In the Career Mode, just click start. This will enter you in the first round of the first tournament. The tournaments progress along a career path, so you play them sequentially. I'm not far enough along to have played them all, so I don't know what happens when you've placed in them all. I do know that if you 'miss the cut' the game will say "Tournament Failed" and you can re-renter the tournament.

This can be frustrating, because you're probably chasing the $$$ to upgrade gear in the pro shop. But you'll still be picking up experience points, so be sure to apply them after every round in career mode. Remember you make experience points in Practice mode as well, but you need to click into Career mode to apply them.

5) You get one mulligan. Use it WISELY. I would recommend saving it for the back nine. In every round, a birdie is worth +3 experience points, so you might want to save the mulligan to re-do a birdie or eagle attempt. All the tournaments are stroke play, so you can kind of use it whenever, but a lot of situations are very recoverable, so I wouldn't use one just because you hit into a bunker or rough.

6) On short puts (less than 2yd) set your power and aim to putt THROUGH the hole a little bit. You're never going to sink the ball unless the ball gets to the hole.

7) On very long putts (the x-long putter) the ball will have a HUGE amount of inertia. The distance gauge WILL put your putt past the hole, and by a good amount. This is especially true on a downhill putt. Here, I'll tend to judge the power to be 5-10yds short.

8) Aim for the greens, not for the pins. Especially until you get your Accuracy and Spin points up there.

9) Is there a theme in this post? Maybe. At the turn, reflect again on #1. I'll let you know the next 9 pointers once I've conquered the next tournament. Which reminds me to tell you, the tournaments pay out good money deep into the field. So just because you've had a couple bad holes, don't give up. You're playing against players of a similar skill level in the tourney, so the leader is just as likely to drop a few holes as you are to make them up.

Hit 'em long, hit 'em straight!

Jake
Site Admin

Re: Tour Tips & Don't Get Discouraged!

Post by Jake » Mon May 14, 2012 7:49 pm

Great post, Thanks! I'm typing up a manual tonight and tomorrow and it will either re-iterate these points or just point directly to this thread. I'm going to sticky it so anyone who comes to the forum sees it first. You are definitely playing Nova Golf how I intended, having real life golf experiences opens up the depth of this game so much in my opinion
Nuclear Nova Software - Games and Apps for the Mac, iPhone, iPad, and iPod
GL Golf - Pinball Massacre - Barnyard Blaster - Rocket Golf - Liquid Defense - Hydrothermal

Deano
Nuclear Nova Legend
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Deano » Thu May 24, 2012 4:06 pm

This is an excellent post, and I hope everybody reads it several times. I know I consult it regularly to remind myself about what I should do to help bring my game under control.

Thank you.

xgstour
Nuclear Nova Newbie

Post by xgstour » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:51 am

"Don't let the game beat you.." I guess that sums up the attitude most golfers, real or virtual, play with anyway. Thanks for an interesting read by the way.